Author Topic: Triffids tapes  (Read 2780 times)

Offline SimplyThrilledHoney

Triffids tapes
« on: September 08, 2009, 06:11:17 PM »
I picked up a copy of "Vagabond Holes", the rather wonderful Triffids book, when I was in Melbourne a few weeks ago, and am just sinking my teeth into it. Whilst I'm really enjoying it (especially Robert Forster's rather touching entry) it's somewhat disarming hearing people continually wax lyrical about the 8 pre-"Treeless Plain" albums released on cassette.

I am wondering what the liklihood of these ever getting a release is? I appreciated that an 8CD box set would be rather ... err ... niche, but done as a nicely packaged limited edition, like "Early Singles", I'm sure there'd be enough of us obsessives out there who'd make it worht the while of anyone wanting to put it out.

Secondly, I am wondering whether "Early Singles" will get a CD release anytime soon? Given that all the material was remastered for the vinyl reissues, I gather that all the hard work has been done. I currently have no working turntable, and have been eagerly awaiting a CD issue for some time now.

Please?

Offline genkboy

Re: Triffids tapes
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2009, 09:18:49 PM »
an mp3 version came with the early singles boxset, so that problem is (partially) solved.

If it's just to hear the (non remastered) early music of the tapes, you should find mp3 versions floating around the net.

I too wouldn't hesitate to buy a full cd box version of the early material.
walls so thin I can almost hear them breathing

Offline glee

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2009, 10:04:46 PM »
A rarities set including at least some of the very early stuff and the singles is in the works.

Offline son of albert

• ..the evenings were a kind of melancholy truce...
« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2011, 08:31:37 PM »
Have been listening to Tapes 5 and 6 on heavy rotation as well as Grandson of DungeonTape. It has taken me ages to get around to this - I was overawed by 10cds of stuff I reckon.

I now really love 5 and 6. To these ears, they sound like the Australian equivalent of camper Van Betthoven. A band playing music from a different continent [or continents] based on an idea of what it might sound like. With humour, roots instruments, classic beat music and verve. Clearly a different band from the LP based line-up - in the way a caterpillar becomes a butterfly. If you haven't gobne back to them, then I would suggest dicing them up into bite sized sides based on the original tapes. They make sense that way.

It's an idea some day, in my tears, my dreams...

Offline Max Dembo

« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2011, 07:18:02 PM »
While I didn't have the good luck to see them play in their
original line up, the presence of a juvenile Phil Kakulas on the
early tapes lends the band an extraordinary gravity that is
best heard on 'Out of Tune', 'The Pit the Pendulum & Me',
'I'm not Losing Sleep' & 'New Vision'. Regrettably the earliest
recordings are must needs a little fragile and some didn't survive the transfer. I don't have the box set so I can't be sure
but MAKE NO MISTAKE, If there was a Cale in The Triffids, it was he. The fact that David recorded the precise time &
brief exchange when Phil resigned, indicates HE knew life as he
knew it had changed BIG TIME.
Still, I love the 3rd Velvets album the best. So....

Maxwell 'Ard