Author Topic: Hometown Farewell Kiss  (Read 4106 times)

Offline hassa

Hometown Farewell Kiss
« on: May 06, 2009, 02:14:23 PM »
I was at the Okkervil River gig last night at Capitol - for people my age, old Pinocchio’s nightlcub(1967–94). As they were last year when I saw them at Beck's Music Box for the festival of Perth  they were wonderfully refreshing - and did a cracking set. As Mr Benaud would say; Marvellous.

Anyway, after I got myself off the floor because of the quality I was witnessing, I was then dropped again when they played “Hometown Farewell Kiss”.

This is possibly my favourite Triffids song & Will Sheff & Okkervil showed their great intelligence, respect, passion and feel of this band from way yonder to cover the local legends song.

Well done Okkervil.

Offline winston smersch

Re: Hometown Farewell Kiss
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2009, 06:17:45 PM »
Glad to hear it was a good gig hassa-I went to "The Ellington" last nite to see some "Wire" type experimental music from "Triad" and "Splendid Friends" as part of "Club Zho"- and though I scammed my way in for free- I get the feeling I would have rather been at Okkervil...

PS- tonite I'm off to see Dave Warner, V-Capri (NAH-they're on the bill- I REALLY want to see Dave Faulkner, Kim Salmon and James Baker and The Stems...) at the Metro, Perth City.  This could be DISASTROUS or an evening of some wonderment...for any Perth types interested, apparently this INDUSTRY nite will be $40 (plus BF)- tickets available at the door, doors open 8.30 PM WEDS 6 MAY.  Depending on my mood, I may report on this tomorrow...
« Last Edit: May 06, 2009, 06:21:22 PM by winston smersch »

Offline glee

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2009, 10:23:32 PM »
hassa...interesting, did they say anything about this choice of song to cover and what was the version like?

Offline geoffm

« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2009, 08:54:43 PM »
Interesting band.Never heard them mention the triffids as an influence but they do a lot of covers.Bit more about it over here but nothing of substance-Hassa you`ve been moonlighting
http://jound.com/board/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=2208&sid=29bb0074d5d2634d79225137a927b1a9
this wasn`t mentioned in a review of the Brisbane show I read in the street press today
Look George,partridges

Offline vps

« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2010, 06:29:53 PM »
Came across this on YouTube: Okkervil River 2009 05 07 Triffids cover
Between thought and expression lies a lifetime

Offline Urpal

• Global Moderator
  • "Light on the water, We could sail on forever"
« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2010, 08:36:01 AM »
Thanks for that VP. The band seem familiar enough with and generally respectful of the song, which strangely, should you wish to go there, gets you from 13th Floor Elevators to The Triffids in only a few moves :). As with a lot of video recordings, the saturated sound quality makes it difficult to judge the merits of the cover. I suspect that if you were there it would have sounded a lot better than it does experienced through youtube.
We all have our croissants to bear

Offline vps

« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2010, 03:11:14 PM »
Yes, the sound quality is pretty poor - Okkervils are a cracking live band though so I suspect the effect at the gig may have been quite different...

Offline vps

« Reply #7 on: November 29, 2011, 06:38:07 AM »
The Okkervils have released a second part of their Golden Opportunities cover cd available for free download at their website (http://www.okkervilriver.com/) and it includes their cover of One Soul Less on Your Fiery list.

Here's the track listing:
It is So Nice to Get Stoned (by Ted Lucas)
U.F.O. (by Jim Sullivan)
One Soul Less On Your Fiery List (by David McComb)
Plan D (by Bill Fay)
Dry Bones (American Traditional)