Author Topic: last night for quite a while...  (Read 3915 times)

glee

last night for quite a while...
« on: January 16, 2009, 10:44:48 AM »
Our final night of a Secret In The Shape Of A Song for this round. We may be back somewhere, sometime. Thanks everybody.

Offline Mark_from_Perth

Re: last night for quite a while...
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2009, 10:01:29 AM »
Yes, thanks to everybody indeed glee. Thank you Triffids and Friends, so so much.

My heart was heavy as the show came to a close last night, but who am I to complain, it was the 7th time for me! Yet I could go again, and again, and again...such is the beauty of those songs. Emotionally, last night was both a high and a low. The performers were giving their all, perhaps because Dave's parents were in the audience, although John did not mention this during his speech (I spotted his dad early on and presume that the lady with him was Dave's mum). John did however mention the fact the the Cliffe faces demolition (I reckon he might have saved this up for the last night). John also read a poem he hadn't read before - and it was a beauty (sadly, I don't remember what it was called). I think it would be nice if glee put these poems up somewhere.

To the music...
Setting You Free made it onto the set list tonight (Mick Harvey on vocals and the amazingly versatile Ricky Maymi on drums) I was looking forward to this so much ,
and Reverie and Bright Light Big City were back in

Unfortunately Steve Kilbey's voice didn't hold up, altough he did his usual set, and the Field of Glass encore, but I think he'll be suffering for it.

No photos tonight. I sat further back in a nice comfy couch, soaking in every precious moment.

Here's to the next time, somewhere, sometime.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2009, 10:19:30 AM by Mark_from_Perth »

Offline winston smersch

« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2009, 10:14:11 AM »
YEP !! I dug it...CHEERS everybody for an unforgettable experience.  For once, I am speechless.

Offline potr

« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2009, 01:08:15 PM »
indeed
it was bliss, like velvet. Its been a long time for me.
I cried while rob snarski sang after john's mini memoir.

The last time i saw dave play as costar, was in amongst a crowd of less than 20 at the hmm... town hall hotel in north melbourne, my brain is frazzled.

every singer crafted their voice to the enth. Loved mel oxley, loved rob snarski, loved toby martin, loved graham lee and totally melted for alsy.

what i had forgotton and what never ever has come across for me in recordings was the layers of sound live, depth, echo, fully rounded.
And after 20 years of maturity, the songs have more meaning for me, i think about them more.

Words cant express how wonderful it felt to be there, listening, being. I love you triffids so much.

I was a very lucky girl to have got to see them

Offline winston smersch

« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2009, 01:45:17 PM »
Hey potr- LIKE your description !!

Offline robbie jalapeno

« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2009, 02:24:37 PM »
Hey Graham,

The shows were a monumental triumph!  You can't go past potr's description.  It certainly was like you could touch the good will and the beautiful memories in the air ...

The highlight for me (Fri night) was Rob's rendition of 'All Soul's Alive'.  I enjoyed Brendon's go at 'One Soul Less / Hometown Farewell Kiss', young Adrian's exuberant 'Bad Timing', I rediscovered the joy of the Blackeyed Susand and became a YouthGroup fan.  I also got to see probably my 2 favourite drummers of all time, Alsy and Mark (actually 3 if you count Mick Harvey too, tho' he didn't play them on the night)..... Quite a night really!

Many thanks have to go to you Graham, who had a major part in making it all happen.  It was great to meet you at the rehearsal on Thursday.  Sorry for barging in - I know I shouldn't have, but I had to!  Once in a lifetime and all that ....

Cheers

robbie x