Author Topic: Hamer Hall Jan 29 2009  (Read 16923 times)

Offline son of albert

• ..the evenings were a kind of melancholy truce...
Re: Hamer Hall Jan 29 2009
« Reply #30 on: February 01, 2009, 02:55:12 AM »
Thanks for the insights folks, and for the photos Gazza. Sounds like a wonderful night.
It's an idea some day, in my tears, my dreams...

Offline Jonathan Alley

• Love in Bright Landscapes: A Film About Dave McComb
« Reply #31 on: February 01, 2009, 01:03:22 PM »
There but by the grace of (insert deity here) go The Triffids, friends, and audience... )
Hamer Hall cancelled its shows on Jan 30, due to the power outage across the city.
"Music is a great energiser. It's a language everybody knows"
Bill Hicks

Offline Mark_from_Perth

« Reply #32 on: February 01, 2009, 03:50:18 PM »
There but by the grace of (insert deity here) go The Triffids, friends, and audience... )
Hamer Hall cancelled its shows on Jan 30, due to the power outage across the city.

Wow, how close was that!
Great photos Gazza, looking forward to the good ones  ;)

Offline wolfcat

« Reply #33 on: February 01, 2009, 08:36:06 PM »
First photo from last night's show to appear online:

http://flickr.com/photos/wolfcat_aus/3237785156/

There's just the one, though.

I have uploaded the rest of my shots from that evening now as well, so now there ae 28 shots in total :-)

http://flickr.com/photos/wolfcat_aus/sets/72157613167218715/

Cheers

Wolf

ps... great show

Offline perrymonkey

• Another Christmas Carol
« Reply #34 on: February 02, 2009, 02:26:35 AM »
Great pics everybody  ;D
proud 2B a TriffHead

Offline weasel

« Reply #35 on: February 04, 2009, 06:20:19 PM »
Review from this weeks Inpress

Offline Brownie

« Reply #36 on: February 06, 2009, 04:40:13 PM »
Hi all,
Just some more reflections on the Triffids this week after seeing the show last Thursday.
It was only the week before the show in Melbourne that I drove the Nullabor for the first time with an old mate who now lives in South Fremantle. We went from Melbourne to Perth via Coffin bay, Streaky bay, Esperance and Albany and took a week to do the trip. Needless to say the Triffids were on the CD player when we hit the WA border (just after we played the Born to Run album twice through on that 146 km straight stretch!)
Was on the lookout as we neared Ravensthorpe for some Triffids connections and sure enough came across  Jerdacuttup Rd and closer to Ravensthorpe the Jerdacuttup River.  If I knew how to post photos from my camera to the computer you could all take a look.
Anyway, a week on from the show I'm still buzzing about it. Have given all my CDs another play again. Let me just say two of my all-time faves from Calenture which the band didnt play  are "Kelly's Blues" and "Open for You."

Offline zarquon

« Reply #37 on: February 06, 2009, 09:40:35 PM »
Hi,
I loved the show and was wondering if someone could say who the piano player was. Actually there's a lot of people I didn't know on stage (I don't get out much).

Offline glee

• Administrator
« Reply #38 on: February 06, 2009, 10:39:39 PM »
Piano was Bruce Haymes.

Adrian910

« Reply #39 on: February 07, 2009, 03:17:34 PM »
I'd just read the news of the West Gate Bridge murder and I felt sick to my stomach. The heat wave seemed to have taken its toll on everyone. Rail lines had buckled. I thought, how can they play "Hell of a Summer" or "Too Hot Too Move" without seeming trivial. Come to think of it, how can they play "Tarrilup Bridge"? They played all three with no comment.

I was hoping the Triffids and friends would take me out of it. Sad to say, I sat dispassionately for three hours.

The Hamer Hall show was marred by technical problems and a stiffness perhaps caused by too much reverence, too many up on stage and too many competing elements. The decision (or default?) to recreate the songs the same as the records was a questionable one. Often overproduction threatened to swamp the beauty of Dave's songs, just as it sometimes did in the studio. For mine, stripping the songs back to the basics would have worked better than this all-star extravaganza, and been a better tribute to Dave. Julian Wu deserved to be up there, but maybe he would have been better employed behind the mixing desk.

On the positive side, doing songs from the old cassettes in a teenage Triffids style was a great idea (Youth Group). The slides started well, with happy snaps of the young Triffids, but the idea quickly petered out. Why?

The highlight of the evening was Toby Martin, who recalled a young David McComb.

Steve Miller's self-indulgent emceeing was really irritating. What he said had very little to do with Dave, and a lot to do with his own state of mind. His delivery was stretched out to the point of torture. I felt like yelling "get off". At the Forum or other suitable venue I would have. The posh environs of the hamer Hall were just not right.

All in all, a disappointment, with a few bright spots

And what happened to Dave's poetry, as promised in the pre-show publicity?

Offline glee

• Administrator
« Reply #40 on: February 07, 2009, 03:44:13 PM »
Can't agree with you on much of this Adrian and I don't imagine you'd expect me to. Are you suggesting that we shouldn't have played the suddenly topical songs you mentioned? Or that we should have stated the obvious?
This evening is always, wherever it's presented, about Dave and his songs. Most of the songs you heard have been tried in many different ways and some will always tend towards the recorded version because that approach presents them best. You heard songs from all periods of Dave's writing life, some produced fully with a large line-up, some from a single band, some from the five of us with minimal augmentation, a couple with one voice and piano, some largely acoustic, some loud and electric. Some where intentionally as close to the recorded version as possible, some were completely different. 
John McComb was originally intended to be part of the show but could not be there due to circumstances beyond his control. It was during his segment that Dave's poetry would have appeared.
All visuals were images originally chosen by Dave and used in the live show 20 years ago.
We go to a great deal of trouble to keep our minds on the primary purpose of the show...remembering Dave through his music...sorry we missed the mark in your case. And for what it's worth I'm pretty sure Dave would have loved Steve's emceeing.     

Offline son of albert

• ..the evenings were a kind of melancholy truce...
« Reply #41 on: February 08, 2009, 06:21:07 AM »
Review from this weeks Inpress

Thanks for that Weasel. Pretty strong quote at the end. Is the bandwagon finally about to get rolling in Australia?
It's an idea some day, in my tears, my dreams...

Offline mark t

« Reply #42 on: February 18, 2009, 05:34:11 PM »
There are questions as to whether the bubble machine performed as well as anticipated.

The bubble machine didn't stand a chance, it should have been up the front, as in Sydney. No other complaints though!

Offline weasel

« Reply #43 on: February 18, 2009, 07:19:01 PM »
And finally...from todays Beat magazine.

Offline Gazza

« Reply #44 on: February 26, 2009, 10:05:29 AM »
Gut feeling from watching It's Raining Pleasure last night is that the Hamer Hall performance was a fair bit tighter than the Sydney Festival ones. But since I wasn't at the Sydney shows, I don't really know. Any opinions from those who saw both?
This could be heaven; shallow spreads of ordered lawns.