Author Topic: Hamer Hall Jan 29 2009  (Read 16919 times)

Offline jimjamtwo

• James Paterson at Virb.com
Re: Hamer Hall Jan 29 2009
« Reply #15 on: January 30, 2009, 11:02:08 PM »
First photo from last night's show to appear online:

http://flickr.com/photos/wolfcat_aus/3237785156/

There's just the one, though.
St Francis died on his knees in a gaudy downtown bar
He had every known disease you can contract in the back of a car.

Offline John B

« Reply #16 on: January 31, 2009, 11:42:52 AM »
Hamer Hall gig was fantastic - came from Hobart just for the night and worth every cent.

Only the second time I've got to see the Triffids, the only other time in Tas before Calenture even came out. Still the greatest band and most beautiful songs of all time.

Some great choices of vocalists who mostly did justice to David's songs without trying to just ape his delivery. 
Mark Snarski and Toby were both perfect in delivery, nuance, emotion and restraint.
Mick Harvey was surprisingly very good. I had my doubts having seen his side-shoot band live - but they disappeared once he started, he absolutely nailed it.
Evil Graham Lee - you've got a better voice they you give yourself credit for, sing some more of David's songs for us next time. Lovely understated delivery.
Alsy - your voice was good too - would have liked to hear a couple more.
Melanie was good - but I couldn't help thinking a different choice of songs would have been better for her.
Jill - what can you say - don't change your singing in any way - it's lovely the way it's always been.

The disappointments were Steve Kilby - please guys, put a bass or guitar around his neck to stop him running around and waving his arms about, and turn down the vocal histrionics a notch: restrained and nuanced delivery please Steve - save the snarling and growling for Field of Glass where it's appropriate.

And M Halstead- great voice, but I think he turned Bury Me Deep in Love into a demand rather than the wishful, hopeful and slightly sad delivery the song warrants. But his Suntrapper was fantastic.

All up - a magical night - some space up front for a waltz would have been good - and the piano obscured Alsy altogether if you were stage left in the stalls (and I love watching a good drummer). But you can't have everything.

Please come to Tas - maybe for the Ten days on the Island Arts Festival or for the next Mona Foma.

John

Offline Brownie

« Reply #17 on: January 31, 2009, 04:35:41 PM »
"From the sublime to the sublime"

Hi everyone,

I was at Hamer Hall on Thursday night and all I can say is it was all I could possibly have imagined it might be and more. WOW.

Never having seen the band live in the old days and never thinking I ever would, I really looked forward to this night with anticipation and it was as emotional a night as I think any rock show could be.

The band were superb. Guest vocalists matched the songs beautifully. It was just tremendous.

The crowd seemed a bit quiet before and between songs and I'm not sure if that was out of nervous anticipation or feeliing a little bit on best behaviour in the venue but i hope the band didnt think the fans were hard to please because I just wanted to yell out after every song " YOU'RE JUST BLOODY AWESOME".

I managed to score a song list after the show and I went up and said thanks to Jill and Graham who were on the stage. I wish there was a party afterwards because I dont think anyone wanted to go home. We all just wanted to stay and wallow in the magic of it all.

There was a moment after Jill had sung "The Long Fidelity" when Robert turned to Graham and said " from the sublime to the ridiculous"  but Graham replied " from the sublime to the sublime". Then the band did Field of Glass.

Highlights   : Bury Me Deep in Love, Lonely Stretch, Wide Open Road, Stolen Property, Jerdacuttup Man (sung by Graham), Raining Pleasure, The Seabirds, Tarillup Bridge, Save What You Can, The Long Fidelity, Field of Glass.

I was just blown out throughout the show how brilliant the band sounded. And it hit me even more what a unique phenomenon they were.

And there on the start of my Born Sandy DVD that I watched again last night is Dave introducing Wide Open Road on the Australian Made Tour as a song that "had at least been played on Countdown and that must mean something !!!" Oh triffids you were just too good for that circus.

So to all the members of the band for the fantastic show, I cant tell you how much it meant to me to see you live at last and how brilliant you were.
Thankyou Thankyou Thankyou.

Offline geoffm

« Reply #18 on: January 31, 2009, 08:10:35 PM »
Thanks people.Good or bad keep it coming.Those who couldn`t, appreciate it
Look George,partridges

Offline Gazza

« Reply #19 on: February 01, 2009, 01:00:15 AM »
Apologies for not posting anything yet, but I left the after party at 2:30, checked in at the airport at 4:55, and got back home at 8:00 or so. Spent a few hours sorting through shots from the gig that were supposed to go with an article in this morning's West Australian, and then had to head out to the Big Day Out with the temperature at 42C. Not too bad I suppose it's 36C in the house at the moment. Spent today looking for places with aircon.

Anyway, I've got some plans for the photos, not least of which is to tie something in with the launch of It's Raining Pleasure when it's premiered at the Adelaide Film Festival in late February. There are a few hurdles to jump before then, mind. Basically I'll be holding back the best photos for that and some other things I hope to get together. As soon as I know which I need to hold onto, I'll start posting some of the best of the rest. They'll still be pretty good, I suspect, but they won't be immediate.

For me, the highlight was definitely being at the rehearsals the day before  during the sound check and the show itself I was running around between the stage (or the area just in front of it once the gig had started), the band room, the wings and the choir stalls above. I'll probably remember less of this gig than any of the others I've seen simply because I missed huge chunks of it and had a lot to do. The huge advantage of being at the rehearsals is that you get to hear things being tried out, and the sound is about as good as it possibly could be.

Gut feeling is that all of the vocal performances were probably better on Thursday than they were in Sydney, though I'm only going on the recording of that. Certainly agree with John B's comments about Graham's voice. Can add that Steve (Kilbey) was actually rather concerned about his performance on the night, and asked me whether he'd gone over the top with the running around and so on. Could only tell him the truth: I was in photographic mode rather than punter mode and wasn't the right person to ask. There won't be too many photographers complaining about an energetic live act. As for his vocal performance, I thought that was fantastic, and told him so after the rehearsals.

On a musical note, two things really did stand out on the night. First, that they really are a great set of songs. Second, that even as diverse a group of singers as that can't quite do justice to what David was capable of as a performer. Which isn't to say, of course, that they aren't wonderful performers in their own right, just that David seemed to have an almost unique blend of charisma, subtlety and power.
« Last Edit: February 01, 2009, 10:41:33 AM by Gazza »
This could be heaven; shallow spreads of ordered lawns.

Offline Gazza

« Reply #20 on: February 01, 2009, 01:13:54 AM »
Just did a quick trawl through the early part of the set-up/sound check at Hamer Hall the hardest part of the shoot since the lighting levels were so low  and found a few that have got something about them but aren't really up to scratch. When I say that I mean either that I didn't quite nail the composition or, more likely with most of these, that there's something wrong with them technically (they're too noisy, or too soft) and that means they can't be used at the larger image sizes I'm after. With one or two of them it's just about possible that a very similar shot might end up being used later.

Offline Gazza

« Reply #21 on: February 01, 2009, 01:30:55 AM »
Graham wanders off to collect his lap steel. That's what he came back with a few shots later, anyway.
« Last Edit: February 01, 2009, 01:57:28 AM by Gazza »

Offline Gazza

« Reply #22 on: February 01, 2009, 01:33:39 AM »
Jill sings while Rob and JP Shilo get stuck in on violin.

Offline Gazza

« Reply #23 on: February 01, 2009, 01:34:59 AM »
Graham and JP Shilo; guitar tech in background.

Offline Gazza

« Reply #24 on: February 01, 2009, 01:50:31 AM »
Behind Graham's amp, there's a box.

Offline Gazza

« Reply #25 on: February 01, 2009, 01:51:07 AM »
Marty.

Offline Gazza

« Reply #26 on: February 01, 2009, 01:51:52 AM »
Rob.

Offline Gazza

« Reply #27 on: February 01, 2009, 01:54:03 AM »
Alsy and one of the sound guys.

Offline Gazza

« Reply #28 on: February 01, 2009, 01:56:18 AM »
It's not just washing up liquid, you know.

Offline Urpal

• Global Moderator
  • "Light on the water, We could sail on forever"
« Reply #29 on: February 01, 2009, 02:08:56 AM »
Ta for these gazz. The ones of marty & graham are particularly striking compositions.

Oh, and thanks to sloop, brownie & praxaes for their impressions too.

Its great to hear some new voices.
« Last Edit: February 01, 2009, 02:17:24 AM by Urpal »
We all have our croissants to bear