Author Topic: Hamer Hall Jan 29 2009  (Read 16918 times)

glee

Hamer Hall Jan 29 2009
« on: January 16, 2009, 10:27:57 AM »
Hamer Hall hosts A Secret In the Shape Of A Song. For one night only The Triffids and friends perform the songs of David McComb. We all agree the best way to remember Dave, esp so close to the tenth anniversary, is through his songs.
Doors: 7.30pm. Show: 8.00pm.
« Last Edit: January 16, 2009, 10:29:41 AM by glee »

Offline Urpal

• Global Moderator
  • "Light on the water, We could sail on forever"
Re: Hamer Hall Jan 29 2009
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2009, 02:15:36 AM »
That came around quickly. I assume the show has now finished an hour or two back. Hope it went well.

How was it for you, Gazza? Christ knows, you've been putting it off for long enough ;)

Any bleary eyed reports would be welcome, I'm sure.

Morning after the night before, or insomnia after the excitement before. It matters not. Speak when you're good and ready.

EDIT: Err, scrap that. I'm a day ahead of myself :-[ Or, more accurately, you're not as much ahead of myself as I seemed to have thought you were when I posted this. It's been a busy day!

Good morning and hope tonight goes well ;D
« Last Edit: January 29, 2009, 02:27:06 AM by Urpal »
We all have our croissants to bear

Offline mark t

« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2009, 08:14:56 AM »
fuck Urpal, don't do that! After almost missing Lenny, shite, hang on, my heart rate is ..... ohhh.

Offline Urpal

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2009, 08:37:27 AM »
Sorry markt. Im usually the late bird that misses the worm. My head was spinning faster than the world today. Relax. You've got time on your side & hours to play with. Take your time. Enjoy the scene.

Offline mark t

« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2009, 09:49:42 AM »
 :)

gazza hasn't told anyone yet, but he's come over camera in hand and has been working at the rehearsals yesterday and today, and will be tonight, of course. I'm looking forward to the results.

Offline KrieB

« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2009, 10:25:41 AM »
Ok, begging again with no shame: snaps of the setup, rehearsals and whatever avant-moment would be sooooo thankfully appreciated. And then close-ups of vocal cords, fingers and bubble machine in action on the night (once we start begging, we of course get grr...) Bleddyn Butcher in sight??

I hope everything goes great tonight and I wish a wonderful evening to all and especially to those who have had to wait so long to see the songs being played (again or for the first time) by these people.
Above all, I hope the band and their family / friends / Triffid kin have a great time and enjoy themselves. I can’t help thinking again of an image of Alsy taking (almost gasping for?) breath in between some songs in Hasselt. You could see a shiver of nerves going through him. (Or it may have been his inner fat Elvis threatening to shake, rattle & roll out from the inside ;))
You’ve made this happen then and you make it again now, and dammit, it is something far stronger than the cream in our coffee. 

I also hope that that Hamer Hole is a bit of a haven of air-conditioned cool away from the 40+ °C - so that Mr. Ricky will be able to very befittingly sport his waistcoat and that the band can make the crowd weep, burn or reach the boiling point without that 40° "advantage".
« Last Edit: January 30, 2009, 02:02:53 AM by KrieB »
Throw yourself into The Triffids darling, you haven't got a chance!

Offline Mark_from_Perth

« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2009, 07:34:03 PM »
:)

gazza hasn't told anyone yet, but he's come over camera in hand and has been working at the rehearsals yesterday and today, and will be tonight, of course. I'm looking forward to the results.

I hope he, the maestro of audiology,  also brought some sort of audio capturing device  ;D

...so its on now and I hope to wake up in the morning to find some nice pics here (like an xmas stocking, but much better!!!)

Offline Jonathan Alley

• Love in Bright Landscapes: A Film About Dave McComb
« Reply #7 on: January 30, 2009, 08:37:07 AM »
"Whilst waiting for someone to say something about last night's show..."
OK Urpal:... many of us, baking here  ... are still processing last night's 3 hours and 20 minutes. Before Field of Glass Rob said 'shall we go from the ridiculous to the sublime?' and Graham said 'no, from the sublime  to the sublime'. And it was. All of it. Surprise of the evening to me was one Mark Halstead (of Prussian extraction for the evening , from the mind of Miller) doing Suntrapper and Bury Me Deep. And while Toby Martin had been most admirable in Sydney, last night he truly lifted the bar to 'superb'. ] Standing ovations, multiple encores, Alsy grabbing Miller and leading him off at the end has admonished the crowd to shout for one more. nuff said. Sublime? Spellbinding, moving and barring some squally feedback on Jerdacuttup Man, an almost perfect show. Enough for now "it's all too much"...  [/i

"Music is a great energiser. It's a language everybody knows"
Bill Hicks

Offline Urpal

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: January 30, 2009, 08:48:48 AM »
Too hot to type, too hot to think, Jonathan...

I won't offer to swap you. I prefer sitting in the fridge to the fire.

Thanks for the report.

Mark C (not to be confused with MarkT and MarkFP) sounds like he took Markski's Sydney role for the evening.

How was the atmosphere? Apart from a bit melting around the edges.

Good crowd? It sounds as if they liked what they heard anyway.

Offline Jonathan Alley

• Love in Bright Landscapes: A Film About Dave McComb
« Reply #9 on: January 30, 2009, 10:05:43 AM »
i've just been outside:) I think I saw frying eggs on the pavement. Speaking of Too Hot, which within the thankfully air conditioned confines of Hamer Hall it was not.... it was last night's opener. re the crowd; i don't think it sold out but it was very well attended . I forgot the bubble machine, one of the many stars of Fairytale Love that ended in a huge onstage singalong that finished in the band turning to acknowledge the large onscreen image of David. There was l.u.v in the room in no uncertain terms, be assured. Roll on Perth!
"Music is a great energiser. It's a language everybody knows"
Bill Hicks

Offline praxeas

• Andrew's Version
« Reply #10 on: January 30, 2009, 12:32:51 PM »
I'm also digesting the show - I had a knot in my stomach from the moment the first pic of an impossibly young Alsy Mcdonald at 'the Cliffe' appeared. The hard core nostalgia continued in a way with Youth Group's evocative renditions of a handful of ur-Triffids songs (I never  thought I would hear 'Tuscan St Retirement Village' again!)

I thought the spread of vocalists worked very well. With the obvious exception of Melanie Oxley's Embedded (which I did like), the assemblage of the others seemed like a set of points on a map that left David's own voice implied, hidden, somewhere in the middle. Kilbey, Harvey and Halstead (!) all channelled edgier aspects, Toby Martin and Snarski the more lyrical. Oxley's vocal on 'I want to conquer you' gave that sweet and sinister piece a new aspect.

One for the ages...
It is a far, far better thing that I do now, than that other thing I did before that didn't go very well at all.

Offline jimjamtwo

• James Paterson at Virb.com
« Reply #11 on: January 30, 2009, 02:37:36 PM »
Just back from Melbourne, impressions of last night's show whirling around in my head. Clocking in at over 3 hours - maybe 3 hours 20 - the set list was essentially the same as at the Metro last year. The most significant changes were the addition of Beautiful Waste, which was sung by Toby, who told me that it currently features in Youth Group's set, Mark C. Halstead's versions of Bury Me Deep and Suntrapper, the omission of Life of Crime, and the addition of cello and violin parts to several of the songs.

With minor hitches - ones that were quite possibly not glaringly obvious to the audience - everything went amazingly well and it seemed as if only a few weeks had passed (not a year) since the Sydney shows. Urpal, estimates for the size of the crowd were of the order of 1,200-1,300.     

There are questions as to whether the bubble machine performed as well as anticipated. My person view is that too many bubbles - perhaps as many as 24 - were seen before the first bars of Fairytale Love actually began being played. I think another machine may be required which doesn't go off quite so, shall we say, prematurely?
St Francis died on his knees in a gaudy downtown bar
He had every known disease you can contract in the back of a car.

Offline Mark_from_Perth

« Reply #12 on: January 30, 2009, 06:54:42 PM »
It sounds like a great show. Whats the story with Mark S and Mark C? Any idea who's coming to Perth? In any I'm sure Mark C did a great job, he's got an awesome voice.

Thanks for the reports.

Offline Urpal

• Global Moderator
« Reply #13 on: January 30, 2009, 07:30:11 PM »
Yeah, I have and enjoy Mark C's album, which was WMINC 1 as I recall and was produced by and has plenty of glee jangle on it.

In fact, I've just discovered this video of Mark with glee and crew enabling anyone unfamiliar to get a taste:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MQHW3A0C9N0

If I'm not mistaken that's handsome steve at the bar (as usual) and Evil Graham's hands seems to have gone all Night Of The Hunter (dislexic version :)).

Just back from Melbourne, impressions of last night's show whirling around in my head. Clocking in at over 3 hours - maybe 3 hours 20 -

It's gratifying to know that Lenny's not the only one who has enough great and varied material to hold an audience enraptured for over three hours.

Urpal, estimates for the size of the crowd were of the order of 1,200-1,300.

Great! That's a good crowd (most bands I see these days have about 20 to 200!)

It seems to me that to an extent the poles may have been reversed over recent years or at least equalised (though I note that that's about the same number that Graham estimated The Triffids used to draw at Paddington Town Hall and other venues back in the day).
« Last Edit: January 30, 2009, 07:50:44 PM by Urpal »

Offline glee

• Administrator
« Reply #14 on: January 30, 2009, 10:17:27 PM »
Spooky coincidences galore in that clip - the customer being srved by Steve is Mark Snarski unless I'm very mistaken. Bruce Haymes is on piano. Others are Sam Leman guitar, Adam Gare fiddle, Ashley Davies drums and Jack Coleman bass.