Author Topic: The Ultimate Triffids Compilation 20 Song CD  (Read 12407 times)

Offline Peter Azzopardi

Re: The Ultimate Triffids Compilation 20 Song CD
« Reply #30 on: April 13, 2009, 06:52:05 PM »
Glee wrote that the "CD should indeed be aimed at the masses, maximum appeal etc etc". Fair enough, but I would dread a bland compilation like the Go-Betweens "Bellavista Terrace" from 1999. Horrible track listing, only the most obvious songs showing the poppier side of the band and only one song before the third album ("Cattle and Cane"). Any Go-Bees compilation that starts with "Was There Anything I Could Do?", surely one of their weakest songs, is doomed to fail.  As a big fan I didn't like it, but the unitiated I knew who bought it were put off too. Their earlier 1978-1990 compilation is a great introduction though, albeit all over the place historically. But so are the Triffids stylistically, that's why you've gotta have a "Spinning Top Song" there and a "Convent Walls". I didn't put any of the Field of Glass stuff on my list, but only because I don't think they're McComb's stronger songs (although they're evidence of a stellar band).

My point, I guess, is that--to me--the point of a compilation is to make the listener want to dig deeper. Throw in a few interesting curve-balls so they know there is more to a band than the slicker singles, some darkness in there.

Offline Spartacus

« Reply #31 on: April 14, 2009, 09:41:32 PM »
Hi there

Greetings from Edinburgh, Scotland. Just joined the forum. This is my first post. I've just rediscovered the Triffids after a long gap, thanks to the re-issues. Co-incedentally enough I've just made up a compliation cd for a mate. This was the track listing

Too Hot to Move, Too Hot to Think (a great opener)
Wide Open Road
Bury Me Deep in Love
Goodbye Little Boy
Wish to See No More
The Seabirds
One Mechanic Town
New Years Greeting
Estuary Bed
Save What You Can
Trick of the Light
Good Fortune Rose
Jerdacuttup Man
The Clown Prince
Stolen Property

Not easy to decide what couldn't make the cut but my thought process was aiming it at a specific target with good taste (he's a big Leonard Cohen, Nick Cave fan) who. sacreligously, has no clue about The Triffids (even though he's just back in UK after 7 years in Adelaide)!!

I've every reason to believe he'll either request a follow up or be right on to Itunes to download more.

Offline SpikeyMikey65

« Reply #32 on: April 15, 2009, 01:45:08 AM »
After much soul seraching...

Too Hot To Move
The Seabirds
Bury Me Deep In Love
Hell Of A Summer
Goodbye Little Boy
In The Pines
Holy Water
Red Pony
A Trick Of The Light
Wide Open Road
Lonely Stretch
25 To 5
Hometown Farewell Kiss
Beautiful Waste
Raining Pleasure
Estuary Bed
Love & Affection
New Year's Greetings
Jerdacuttup Man
Tender Is The Night
Save What You Can
\\\\\
|_ _ |
(0-0/)   There's a catch, I've got no parachute
 \~_/

Offline Colt

« Reply #33 on: April 15, 2009, 12:09:30 PM »
I don't know if this helps Graham at all, but when I tally up the song choices in this discussion thread I get a list of songs that is not very different from the track listing for Australian Melodrama.

Of the 19 songs on that compilation, only three don't make the list here: Bright Lights, Big City; Unmade Love (both of which personally I would be sad to lose); and Falling Over You (which I think very few people would miss).  In their place (and bringing the listing up to 20 songs) would be Estuary Bed; Stolen Property; Blinder by the Hour; and Too Hot to Move, Too Hot to Think.

Offline geoffm

« Reply #34 on: April 15, 2009, 05:24:27 PM »
Jesus Calling,Property is Condemned and Stolen Property are,for me the glaring omissions on Melodrama
Look George,partridges

Offline Eke

• Global Moderator
« Reply #35 on: April 15, 2009, 05:59:12 PM »
Agreed. Three must-haves I would say.

Offline Shanker

« Reply #36 on: April 17, 2009, 12:10:36 PM »
I had one of my good ideas the other day, and it just won't go away until it's made public. And like most of of my good ideas, it really isn't very good at all. Nevertheless, some might remember how our Kylie covered Bury Me Deep with Jimmy Little a few years ago. No disrespect to either party, but it was a bit of an unusual mix of voices, and I'm not sure it worked all that well. Do you think Kylie might be inclined to have another go with the band that originally performed it? Could be awful or it could be great...

Offline Bro

• "I packed my bag"
    • Sexton - (in Swedish)
« Reply #37 on: April 17, 2009, 07:02:31 PM »
Do you think Kylie might be inclined to have another go with the band that originally performed it? Could be awful or it could be great...

A bit of attention seeking might not be a bad thing. Otherwise this collection might very likely be bought only by the already converted (us, that is). A few new bonus tracks is a great idea, and why not invite Nick Cave, Steve Kilbey and Kylie? The recent shows should make up a good platform for making it possible. The re-issues and the planned Greatest Hits need headlines and air time.