Author Topic: Who know's what he says?  (Read 12294 times)

Offline Shane Tilbury

Who know's what he says?
« on: October 31, 2007, 06:52:21 PM »
Have not checked to see if the answer already exists on this site as I've only just registered & got too much work to do, but which diehard Triffids fan can tell me what David 'whispers' during the opening piano entre to 'Save what you can'? I've wondered for years, but I just can't make it out, no matter how loud I turn the volume up....

Offline lonesomesquare

Re: Who know'S (!) what he says?
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2007, 06:59:11 AM »
A spelling error in your very first topic title on these forums: shame on you... Shane! ;)
Has the Triffids got to my daisy??? (a random quote from the Gardening in Oz forum)

Offline stonesurfer

« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2007, 08:04:55 AM »
A spelling error in your very first topic title on these forums: shame on you... Shane! ;)

Lonesome - don't be too hard of the poor chap! You may put him off. Have you never included a typo by mistake,  in your excitment and enthusiasm to post something?...
When something slips through your fingers you know how precious it is ...

glee

Re: Who know's what he says?
« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2007, 10:04:23 AM »
I should know this but I don't. having had a good listen and even slowing the thing down I'm still none the wiser.

Offline lonesomesquare

« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2007, 10:20:35 AM »
A spelling error in your very first topic title on these forums: shame on you... Shane!
Lonesome - don't be too hard of the poor chap! You may put him off. Have you never included a typo by mistake, in your excitment and enthusiasm to post something?...

In all my excitment (sic), stonesurfer: just once ;D. Nighty-night!
Has the Triffids got to my daisy??? (a random quote from the Gardening in Oz forum)

Offline Gazza

Re: Who knows what he says?
« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2007, 12:32:44 PM »
Have not checked to see if the answer already exists on this site as I've only just registered & got too much work to do, but which diehard Triffids fan can tell me what David 'whispers' during the opening piano entre to 'Save what you can'? I've wondered for years, but I just can't make it out, no matter how loud I turn the volume up...

It might be "between"

Been wondering this for years myself, and really couldn't work it out. Just had a crack at it in Logic, with only the left channel and some serious eq. Thought at first that it could be 'between', as Glee suggested, but I think there are at least three syllables. Current theory is that it's 'I'm too young' or 'interior'.

But any of these answers begs another question: why is it there? Mixing error? Cryptic message?
« Last Edit: November 01, 2007, 12:39:42 PM by Gazza »
This could be heaven; shallow spreads of ordered lawns.

Offline jimjamtwo

• James Paterson at Virb.com
« Reply #6 on: November 01, 2007, 01:21:32 PM »
I just checked and I can't hear him whisper anything. At what point does the whisper occur?

All I can hear just using the Videolan player is a one-syllable word spoken in his normal voice, which to my ears sounds like 'tree' but could possibly have been 'three' (and if so would presumably have been left over from a count in - i.e., "one-two-three" - on one of the tracks).
« Last Edit: November 01, 2007, 01:30:13 PM by jimjamtwo »
St Francis died on his knees in a gaudy downtown bar
He had every known disease you can contract in the back of a car.

Offline Peter Azzopardi

« Reply #7 on: November 01, 2007, 01:27:25 PM »
I've always thought McComb said "turn it up", presumbably to Gil Norton or an engineer.

Offline jimjamtwo

« Reply #8 on: November 01, 2007, 01:28:41 PM »
Actually, it's not a spelling error, it's a punctuation error.

Similar mistake in a health and lifestyle magazine I saw yesterday - it talked about how milk thistle had been used by 'the Roman's for liver and stomach problems.'
« Last Edit: November 01, 2007, 02:03:38 PM by jimjamtwo »

glee

« Reply #9 on: November 01, 2007, 01:42:20 PM »
I don't think it's a three but I should listen again. It was intentional to leave it in. There are other spoken bits on Triffids songs, notably Jill's "yeah shut the door" on Good Fortune Rose. The funny thing about this is that it was on her demo and that's why it's included on the actual track. When she did a demo of the song, someone came into the room while she was doing a vocal and she it sounded good so it was faked for the real thing. 

Offline Gazza

« Reply #10 on: November 01, 2007, 01:55:22 PM »
I just checked and I can't hear him whisper anything. At what point does the whisper occur?

All I can hear just using the Videolan player is a one-syllable word spoken in his normal voice, which to my ears sounds like 'tree' but could possibly have been 'three' (and if so would presumably have been left over from a count in - i.e., "one-two-three" - on one of the tracks).

Sounds like you've found the right bit  about nine seconds in. The rhythm is just about what it would be for a one-two-three, but the 'sibilance' isn't anywhere close.

Listening again, and bearing in mind that it's intentional, I think it might be 'Enter here' in a deliberately plummy voice.
« Last Edit: November 01, 2007, 02:29:38 PM by Gazza »

Offline jimjamtwo

« Reply #11 on: November 01, 2007, 02:06:55 PM »
Let's hope we can rule out 'smegma' as a possibility.

Offline David J

« Reply #12 on: November 01, 2007, 02:57:26 PM »
Try it backwards. It's probably something about Satan, these things usually are. Dirty devil worshipping rock stars trying to corrupt our kids.

Offline Gazza

« Reply #13 on: November 01, 2007, 03:59:41 PM »
Definitely not smegma. And, sad to say, played backwards it sounds like 'nyet more' which would hardly have qualified as satanic even at the height of the cold war.

But it has to be said that there's nothing like a good bit of backmasking to antagonise those idiot middle American fundamentalists. If enough bands went in for it, the musicians of the world could probably get the Christian right so worked up that we'd be able to forget about an invasion of Iran for at least another few years.

Offline lonesomesquare

« Reply #14 on: November 01, 2007, 04:00:24 PM »
A spelling error in your very first topic title on these forums: shame on you... Shane!
Actually, it's not a spelling error, it's a punctuation error.

: Interesting - theory; you! got, there? jimjamtoo :D