Author Topic: Live Recordings  (Read 6240 times)

Offline hillsaths

Live Recordings
« on: July 24, 2007, 04:53:30 PM »
All as a seasoned Triffids supporter who saw many shows by them over the years, am I the only one who feels that Stockholm is a bit of a fizzer? Sure its OK, but I dont think that it captures the true essence of a Triffids gig.
Is there any chance of an official release that will do justice to the sound of the Triffids.
I am also willing to acknowledge that it may take a number of issues as the songs and the playing from the different periods in the bands life are pretty diverse.
I am sure that there must be some decent radio recordings somewhere(JJJ Live at the wireless as an example)

Offline Urpal

• Global Moderator
  • "Light on the water, We could sail on forever"
Re: Live Recordings
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2007, 06:44:10 PM »
Am I the only one who feels that Stockholm is a bit of a fizzer? Sure its OK, but I dont think that it captures the true essence of a Triffids gig.
Is there any chance of an official release that will do justice to the sound of the Triffids.

You're not alone in regarding Stockholm as a good record but not an accurate reflection of how powerful an experience a Triffids gig was in real life, Hillsaths. There are some earlier discussions about Stockholm somewhere on here.

It wasn't actually recorded in front of an audience and is a "staged" live recording in that sense.

There are some better proper "in concert" recordings of quality. The BBC In Concert Series one is quite good for example.

I don't suppose its possible to re-capture the whole live experience on a circular piece of plastic, but I hope an attempt is made to provide a closer impressionistic version someday.

There has been talk of a live CD of previously unreleased material as part of the re-issue series at some point in future. Fingers crossed.
We all have our croissants to bear

Offline lonesomesquare

« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2007, 10:17:29 PM »
And just for the record, hillsaths: sometimes Live's What You Make It ;)
Has the Triffids got to my daisy??? (a random quote from the Gardening in Oz forum)

Offline LarsA

« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2007, 08:27:20 PM »
Well, regarding the "Stockholm session", and the "fizzer" accusation. Being the producer of the actual recording I can honestly say that there was definitely a more "live" and raw sound to the original mix that we did for the Swedish Radio. Although it is recorded in a studio.
The multichannel masters were later remixed in Australia and the fake audience added. But in my humble opinion these remixes are a trifle too "studio smooth".
And just for the record, we (the Swedish Radio) did also make two real live recordings with the Triffids, one on their first appearence at the Hultsfred Festival (-82?) and the other a few years later in Gothenburg. Graham has a copy of the first one, if he hasn't lost in i a barrom fight.

glee

« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2007, 10:54:32 PM »
Hi Lars - no bar room fight for me. I still have Hultsfred recording. I'd be interested in your recollections of the sessions, we were in the middle of a tour and not exactly full of beans but the result was pretty good I thought. Do you still have or know whereabouts of original mixes? I remember we did everything live, there may have been an overdub on a track that wasn't used in the end. There were a few problems with vocal monitoring which probably resulted in Dave giving quite a full blooded performance as he couldn't quite hear properly. It's sometimes better not to hear so well.
Stockholm always sounds better than I expect when I play it.

Offline son of albert

• ..the evenings were a kind of melancholy truce...
« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2007, 06:30:15 AM »
Being the producer of the actual recording ...........

Hi Lars.

We've had Ju Wu, HSM, J Patterson, Bruce Callaway, Torch and now Lars.

I told you that Craig Leon is gonna show soon.
It's an idea some day, in my tears, my dreams...

Offline LarsA

« Reply #6 on: August 07, 2007, 04:54:52 PM »
Hehe, nice company to be in.. :D

Anyway, Graham, unfortunately I donīt have the original mixes, and I think they are forever lost. You know they threw me out of there, and very little was saved from those years. So thereīs no evidence to support me when I say they were more "live".
But I do remember some of the circumstances. I know It wasn's a haphazard thing, it was planned already a couple of months earlier at a meeting with Dave and Sally C at a party in Davids flat in London.
It was a day of hard labour in the studio in Stockholm, and I remember well that David just disappeared, face all white and looking very tired indeed. I donīt think there were any overdubs done at all, maybe just some smaller "repairs". Problems with the monitoring? Probably. It was not our own studio, and I donīt think it was properly equipped fot that kind of "all together" thing.
But I was really impressed by the band discipline under these circumstances, and about the fact that we were in just one day able to record such a lot of songs that I really, really liked. Even though including "Rent" seemed pointless to me at the time. I've changed since.  Matured.
« Last Edit: August 07, 2007, 05:06:53 PM by LarsA »

Offline matsrep

« Reply #7 on: August 07, 2007, 06:51:52 PM »
Hi Lars,

thanks for recording and supporting the Triffids in Sweden. I guess that your radio show Lilla Bommen/Bommen was instrumental in making The Triffids big in Sweden (besides those fabulous shows over here). I recall (I might be wrong) that I  first heard Red Pony on Bommen. Hearing that song convinced me to attend my first Triffids gig in Stockholm (May 26, 2005 according to the gigography).

By the way: I also recall that the Stockholm live album sounded a bit different when broadcast on Swedish radio (or the other way around: the album sounded different from the broadcast). I have a cassette somewhere, but the sound on it is pretty lo fi, as it was recorded on a small radio recorder.

Per

Offline Cassiel

« Reply #8 on: August 07, 2007, 08:49:52 PM »
Being the producer of the actual recording ...........

Hi Lars.

We've had Ju Wu, HSM, J Patterson, Bruce Callaway, Torch and now Lars.

I told you that Craig Leon is gonna show soon.

Looking forward to that one... ;D

And don't forget Nick Mainsbridge

http://thetriffids.com/forum/index.php?topic=1098.msg16833#msg16833

Though everyone was in Hasselt or getting shitfaced in Clerkenwell around that time so his arrival slipped under the radar a bit. Come back Nick!
I wish that I knew better than to think that I knew better

Offline son of albert

• ..the evenings were a kind of melancholy truce...
« Reply #9 on: August 19, 2007, 12:06:11 AM »
It's an idea some day, in my tears, my dreams...

Offline hillsaths

« Reply #10 on: February 17, 2014, 11:21:32 AM »
Well, regarding the "Stockholm session", and the "fizzer" accusation. Being the producer of the actual recording I can honestly say that there was definitely a more "live" and raw sound to the original mix that we did for the Swedish Radio. Although it is recorded in a studio.
The multichannel masters were later remixed in Australia and the fake audience added. But in my humble opinion these remixes are a trifle too "studio smooth".
And just for the record, we (the Swedish Radio) did also make two real live recordings with the Triffids, one on their first appearence at the Hultsfred Festival (-82?) and the other a few years later in Gothenburg. Graham has a copy of the first one, if he hasn't lost in i a barrom fight.

LarsA I am glad you say that the album had a more live and raw sound. I was not meaning to denigrate your recording, but from the shows I have seen the band had more of an edge, and your were usually thinking could this get any more intense. What I was really hoping for is that from some of the archives, the original show recordings could be unearthed and released. I am thinking that something like the Australia made recordings (although only likely to be short sets) may be a good place to start. Also then there are the JJJ Live at the Wireless. No doubt some of the European shows (including UK Shows) would have been recorded too. I understand that they likely only have limited appeal but I was hoping that the live legacy would be better served than with Stockholm. (I also understand the the box set has a fair bit of live material as well as some good stuff on the webpage).

Offline waterisnat

« Reply #11 on: September 07, 2015, 10:17:51 PM »
I'd be more than happy to buy a copy of the 1985 Effenaar gig recording that's on the site. Captures that moment in time to a T, methinks.