Author Topic: Love Of Will virgin  (Read 9402 times)

Offline Urpal

• Global Moderator
  • "Light on the water, We could sail on forever"
Re: Love Of Will virgin
« Reply #15 on: July 21, 2007, 06:42:38 AM »
Name of the pressing company will be somewhere near the spindle hole. If it's PDO, you might be in with a chance of getting it replaced.

Yep, mine's Made In UK by PDO too & it looks like someone's spilt coffee all around the edges and its eating and corroding its way towards the centre - and, before you ask, I don't use CDs as coasters :). So how would you get it replaced?
We all have our croissants to bear

Offline Gazza

« Reply #16 on: July 25, 2007, 12:52:33 AM »
Not sure if it's still going, but they used to have a disc rot helpdesk that used to get the affected CDs repressed (they were all within a certain time period, probably 1991-94, from memory) and send them out free if you returned the dodgy specimen. I got at least twenty with early signs of the dreaded lurgy replaced before I emigrated, and might still have the address somewhere. Can look if you'd like, but you might be better off trying Google won't necessarily be the same company. The plant used to be in Blackburn.

Edit: the address I used was as follows. No sign of a phone number.

PDO Discs Ltd
Helpline
Freepost BK1080
Blackburn
BB1 5BR
« Last Edit: July 25, 2007, 12:56:11 AM by Gazza »
This could be heaven; shallow spreads of ordered lawns.

Offline Urpal

• Global Moderator
« Reply #17 on: July 25, 2007, 01:44:22 AM »
Thanks Gazza. I started doing some internet research which suggests the 4000 holes in Blackburn Lancashire once pressed into CDs by PDO changed hands becoming part of a Universal operation then Disctronics.

I then found a fairly recent forum discussion somewhere saying the telephone helpline for CD rot issues has recently closed, but suggesting you might still be able to contact the manufacturer by fax.

On reflection, having an ill fated copy of an ill fated CD has a certain curiosity appeal, and I'm a lazy sod, so I might just hold on to my original, burn a CD-R and wait for a re-issue.

It's been an education all the same. Thanks for the diagnosis.
« Last Edit: July 25, 2007, 01:47:32 AM by Urpal »

Offline mark t

« Reply #18 on: July 25, 2007, 11:00:19 AM »
I've got one Urpal, pressed by Disctronics, without the cancer- but no cover!

it was in my car along with WJKS on that fated day (by way of explanation for those who remember annoying bits of detail). 

You could have mine and we'll go halves in another one the next time it comes up on ebay!

Offline son of albert

• ..the evenings were a kind of melancholy truce...
« Reply #19 on: July 25, 2007, 06:01:05 PM »
Mine's in good shape, but will need a screening programme given it is susceptible as a PDO copy.

I love aspects of this record but not the whole. I've had a long relationship with it. I was attempting to persuade two yanks on Rottnest Island that fast bowling was exciting - Australia were hammering South Africa at the time - but they were bored. They switched to a music channel and the video for "setting you free" came on. It was 1993. It looked great and a huge improvement on "The message" (bay-bi). When I got off the island I bought the cassingle (defunct, unloved technology - I am fucking old) which had five songs on, four in loose demo form that I really loved.

I was back in the Uk in 1994 and was still buying vinyl only. (Old and a luddite). Love of Will was a CD only release. So in 1995, I finally cracked and bought a CD player, so I could buy the CD and listen to it - none of my friends liked DMcC so none of them had a copy either. I was initially underwhelmed. The looseness of the b-sides was gone, replaced by a somewhat lifeless production. Setting you free sounded clunky. The overtly religous themes were also off-putting. Over time, I have come to love many of the songs - particularly the religous or spiritual ones. Leaning, Day if My Ascension, Lifelike in particular. But the lp feels like it falls just short when it needn't have.

I know Graham has talked elsewhere about the difficult recording and endless takes and tuning. The Triffids records have an organic rythmn - they are loose and tight, never soggy. Love of Will sounds too ascetic by comparison. Perhaps a Live Red Ponies CD would reveal the songs are truly respelendent?
« Last Edit: July 25, 2007, 06:27:14 PM by son of robweb »
It's an idea some day, in my tears, my dreams...

Offline geoffm

« Reply #20 on: July 25, 2007, 06:49:58 PM »
I`m with you rob.Love half of this cd but prefer most of the cd single bonus tracks to the rest.The rougher production gives them a warmth that I really like.

PS Americans and cricket are incompatible I`m afraid.I have no affinity to baseball or basketball so its no particular criticism of `em
Look George,partridges

Offline Urpal

• Global Moderator
« Reply #21 on: July 25, 2007, 07:17:06 PM »
Perhaps a Live Red Ponies CD would reveal the songs are truly respelendent?

That's an interesting thought. Geoffm seems to be making a similar point about finding the production a bit cold.

I don't share this view, but I'm prepared to accept the record doesn't capture the popular imagination.

The only Red Ponies live footage I've seen is the appearance on Jools Holland's Later programme. The first song sounded a bit thin and clunky to me live on there, but the second was zingy. Dave didn't appear to be in good form at the time as he was propped on a stool for the recordings.

Certainly the RP session posted on the audio pages here demonstrate a greater dynamism was afoot when the band hit its stride.