Author Topic: Love Of Will virgin  (Read 9398 times)

Offline SpikeyMikey65

Love Of Will virgin
« on: July 18, 2007, 08:44:49 AM »
Finally managed to track down a copy of Love Of Will.  A much needed lift, after a crappy day at work, to find it waiting for me when I got home :-)

Being a newbie (shock horror) to Dave's solo output it makes for an interesting and enjoyable first listen. A slightly more low-key affair compared to the Triffids albums but that's not a complaint. As I suspected the songs are all excellent but stand out tracks for me so far are: Day Of My Ascension, Lifelike (I especially love the pedal steel and bass melody on this) and I Want To Conquer You.

I have a distinct feeling that this will take up residency on my CD player/iPod for the foreseeable future.

\\\\\
|_ _ |
(0-0/)   There's a catch, I've got no parachute
 \~_/

Offline Urpal

• Global Moderator
  • "Light on the water, We could sail on forever"
Re: Love Of Will virgin
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2007, 06:16:45 AM »
It's a great record isn't it.

Shame it's unavailable now except in second hand circulation.

How did you come by your copy?

Actually I've noticed recently that my CD of Love Of Will is now fraying at the edges - or more specifically the metallic layer seems to have some sort of rusty discoloration and is worn away in places along the outer edge. I haven't noticed a similar problem on any other CDs I own of whatever age. In fact, I've just checked the first CD I ever bought (the Velvets third) which dates from when the Triffids were at their peak 86-87 and it still looks good as new. The Saints CD of A Little Madness To be Free of similar vintage on New Rose was always fucked and never played right and is still the same today.

A re-issue of Love Of Will would be good.
We all have our croissants to bear

Offline Bro

• "I packed my bag"
    • Sexton - (in Swedish)
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2007, 07:59:38 AM »
Yes, a great album and in my opinion a true Triffids-album as well. For some reason it was completely overlooked in my native Sweden, in spite of the fact that The Triffids had quite a following there and got decent air time on national radio. I bought my CD for pennies, it was on sale almost straight away.

Don't you just hate it when grand albums are given away? I always get the urge to buy 10 copies and give them away to friends who have deserved it. My Triffids mixed tapes are infamous among my friends - but later on always appreciated!

Fave tracks: "Inside of me", "I want to conquer you", "Day of my ascension". Re-issue with extra gems would be lovely.

Offline Bro

• "I packed my bag"
    • Sexton - (in Swedish)
« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2007, 08:01:00 AM »
Hey, I just earned myself a star! :)

Offline Cassiel

« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2007, 08:09:49 AM »
A reissue would be great.  This may be a case of deja post but I seem to remember it being discussed and there being a problem with Mushroom owning rights etc

I Want To Conquer You is one of Dave's best songs. Great album all round. The quasi-religious aspect threw me at first but I grew to love it.

Oh and Bro, not sure how the star system works, but if you want five big fat green muthas like Urpal you better get posting.  ;)
I wish that I knew better than to think that I knew better

Offline Gazza

« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2007, 10:50:46 AM »
Another fan, would you believe? It's second only to BSD in my Triffid-affections, though there's a chance I'll revise that opinion with the reissue of The Black Swan. Loved it from the moment I first heard it, which I'm sure was sometime before that Red Ponies gig.

Seem to remember the conversation about a reissue too, and that Mushroom had plans for it along the lines of putting the mp3s out or something like that. Graham, is there a point when the rights revert to David's estate in the same way that The Triffids material did?

Actually I've noticed recently that my CD of Love Of Will is now fraying at the edges - or more specifically the metallic layer seems to have some sort of rusty discoloration and is worn away in places along the outer edge.

Sounds like CD rot. If you haven't already, get it onto a hard drive straight away, Urpal. Always thought that the problem was restricted to discs pressed in the UK by PDO and that Love Of Will was only pressed in Australia, so perhaps one of those assumptions is wrong. Was there a UK edition? Artwork on mine was printed in Australia, so I'm assuming that the CD was too. Pressed by Disctronics, and absolutely fine at this stage.

The thought of the remaning copies being eaten away makes the idea of a reissue seem even more urgent.
This could be heaven; shallow spreads of ordered lawns.

glee

« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2007, 11:30:22 AM »
Dave's estate does not have the rights to LOW unfortunately. There are efforts being made to secure a release.

Offline lonesomesquare

« Reply #7 on: July 20, 2007, 04:21:48 PM »
Don't you just hate it when grand albums are given away?

When I've managed to get a hold of the new Prince album, I'll let you know, Bro! ;)

I always get the urge to buy 10 copies and give them away to friends who have deserved it.

Oh and I thought that I was the only idiot who did this kind of thing! I've done several attempts to promote Icelandic music this way: why do you think Icelandic music is Big in Belgium hey! :D I've also given away other stuff like books, but never know if people really appreciate the offer. But for a good cause I don't mind feeling like an idiot now an then.
Has the Triffids got to my daisy??? (a random quote from the Gardening in Oz forum)

Offline Eke

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: July 20, 2007, 05:27:14 PM »
I got a copy of it a year or so ago from a triffhead hereabouts and it's a fine piece of work. I had no idea Dave was still releasing stuff when it came out and missed it completely at the time. I don't think it'll ever barge its way into my affections in the same way the Triffids albums have because I heard it twenty years too late but I still like it enormously. I'd certainly be in line for a new edition.

Offline lonesomesquare

« Reply #9 on: July 20, 2007, 06:28:18 PM »
I'd certainly be in line for a new edition.

The Big Love Of Will Reissue Queue Event! :D
Has the Triffids got to my daisy??? (a random quote from the Gardening in Oz forum)

Offline Urpal

• Global Moderator
  • "Light on the water, We could sail on forever"
« Reply #10 on: July 20, 2007, 07:00:42 PM »
Actually I've noticed recently that my CD of Love Of Will is now fraying at the edges - or more specifically the metallic layer seems to have some sort of rusty discoloration and is worn away in places along the outer edge.

Sounds like CD rot. If you haven't already, get it onto a hard drive straight away, Urpal. Always thought that the problem was restricted to discs pressed in the UK by PDO and that Love Of Will was only pressed in Australia, so perhaps one of those assumptions is wrong. Was there a UK edition? Artwork on mine was printed in Australia, so I'm assuming that the CD was too. Pressed by Disctronics, and absolutely fine at this stage.

I think it's on Mushroom so it could just be fungal growth :)

I bought it in the UK and don't recall any "Import" sticker on it, so I've an idea its a UK version but could be mistaken.

I Want To Conquer You is possibly my favourite song of Dave's that's been released to date - although these things fluctuate a little. The still of dawn opening and build of the song makes for one hell of an emotional rollercoaster. I was reading Nick Cave's tribute on Domino's website again earlier this week and his conclusion "'We are your friends', say the songs. Interplanetary, ultra-emissary and quite extraordinary friends" applies to this one for me. I never saw it performed live, but I believe Mick Harvey's tribute to Dave mentions it as a song in which Dave often seemed to have "transcendental" moments on stage and I can well imagine it.

Do you remember it from the show you saw, Gazza?

How was it for you on stage, glee?
« Last Edit: July 20, 2007, 07:11:14 PM by Urpal »
We all have our croissants to bear

Offline Gazza

« Reply #11 on: July 20, 2007, 07:35:57 PM »
Don't have a concrete memory that I Want To Conquer You was definitely performed, but I can't imagine that it wasn't. As I remember it, the set was basically Love Of Will with a few Triffids songs thrown in, and a ferocious cover of a VU song. Pretty sure that I knew them all, which is why I think I already had the album. But I could be wrong: I'm always astonished that people can remember set lists at all. The general vibe can stay with me for years, at least if it was a good show that I got excited about, or if it was particularly bad, but the songs played don't stay with me for anything more than a few days, if that. Unfortunately all of my Triffids gigs are now stored in pretty much a single memory: all of them were brilliant, and all of them were intense. The Red Ponies one still stands out though.

Name of the pressing company will be somewhere near the spindle hole. If it's PDO, you might be in with a chance of getting it replaced.
« Last Edit: July 20, 2007, 07:46:35 PM by Gazza »
This could be heaven; shallow spreads of ordered lawns.

Offline SpikeyMikey65

« Reply #12 on: July 20, 2007, 07:55:52 PM »
How did you come by your copy?

I got into a bidding war on ebay and paid slightly over my original price ceiling  :)   but it was worth it.  Best album I've heard in a while.

Sadly, it also passed me by on it's release. 1994 was the year my old band The Park did our debut single and I though of little else at the time. I think Australian Melodrama was the only CD I bought that year!

A re-issue would be great especially with extra tracks.
\\\\\
|_ _ |
(0-0/)   There's a catch, I've got no parachute
 \~_/

Offline Mark_from_Perth

« Reply #13 on: July 20, 2007, 09:18:40 PM »
I really like Love of Will (I was going to say I love, Love of Will, but that would have complicated the English!). I'm glad I got it when it came out.
And my 10 yo son really likes it too. He has great taste! His appreciation extends to Snowman, Kill Devill Hills, Schvendes, Mink Mussel Creek....oh yeah, he likes the Triffids too!

Offline Mike_M

• Manic Pop Thrills
« Reply #14 on: July 21, 2007, 02:43:00 AM »
Always thought that the problem was restricted to discs pressed in the UK by PDO and that Love Of Will was only pressed in Australia, so perhaps one of those assumptions is wrong. Was there a UK edition?

Yep, my version was pressed by PDO and Made in the UK. Looks OK though. Fingers crossed!

Great album although I've never really thought before of where it would be in the DMcC canon. Pretty high up though.

My wife took something of a downer on the Triffids on the basis of some of the rougher extra tracks on BSD, but I had Love of Will on the car stereo when we were on the way back from holiday last year (somewhere around Peterborough coincidentally) and she thought it was acceptable!