Author Topic: Wide Open Road  (Read 34962 times)

Offline Johan

• Global Moderator
Wide Open Road
« Reply #30 on: February 27, 2004, 11:09:04 PM »
I'm really surprised 'Under The Milky Way' bij The Church isn't on that list. It is one of the best and best-know Australian songs ever.  
You think of everything, my dear, but you do not think of me

Offline Urpal

• Global Moderator
  • "Light on the water, We could sail on forever"
Wide Open Road
« Reply #31 on: February 28, 2004, 12:15:35 AM »
Call me a heathen, but I've barely heard of The Church and certainly couldn't hum "Under The Milky Way". Having said that, I'd not heard of Paul Kelly before I joined this forum and he's clearly something of an Australian institution - I saw him in concert here in the UK on Sunday last and now know what it is like to be in a racial minority, most of the bar being filled with antipodean brethren singing along to most of the tunes as if they were alternative national anthems.

Following up an earlier posting on this topic, I have now received my order for the BES "Dedicated" CD and it's a gem. Covers of some fine songs given a treatment that would place them comfortably in the best parts of a Lynch/Badalamenti classic movie. Nice one Graham and the band.
We all have our croissants to bear

Offline Johan

• Global Moderator
Wide Open Road
« Reply #32 on: March 01, 2004, 10:24:20 PM »
The Church were quite a good band in the 80s, though not in the same league as The Triffids. They still exist and you should be able to buy their records in most record stores. "Under The Milky Way" was their biggest hit (it even went top 20 in the US) and als features quite prominently in 2002's great movie Donnie Darko, along with such other 80s classics as "Love Will Tear Us Apart" and "The Killing Moon"

Offline Urpal

• Global Moderator
Wide Open Road
« Reply #33 on: March 01, 2004, 11:28:45 PM »
Thanks Johan for the pointers. Coincidentally, I bought and watched the DVD of Donnie Darko within the last couple of weeks and thought it was one of the best films I've seen in a very long time. The movie seems in part to be a homage to the '80s with a few ET and Lynchian references and the soundtrack, geared accordingly, is exceptional - the two songs you mention being personal all time favourites - so "Under The Milky Way" must be a classic if it ranks anywhere close to the others. I'll have to watch the film again to place the song. Incidentally, the version of Tears For Fears' "Mad World" which closes the film (infinitely superior to the original) was the Christmas number one here in the UK, so there is hope for us yet.

Offline Urpal

• Global Moderator
Wide Open Road
« Reply #34 on: March 02, 2004, 09:54:04 AM »
I've now tracked down "Under The Milky Way" in the Donnie Darko soundtrack - the gentle feel of the song is typical of a certain vein mined quite extensively at that time but not re-investigated much since and reminded me a little of a fairly obscure '80s band my brother was and is particularly fond of called Felt, whose albums have recently been re-released by Cherry Red Records on CD. Another cultish band worth checking out if you have the inclination - "Crumbling The Antiseptic Beauty" is as good a place to start as any.

http://www.cherryred.co.uk/cherryred/felt.htm

anothermelbournite

Wide Open Road
« Reply #35 on: March 03, 2004, 02:50:44 PM »
I know by now we're way off the subject of Wide Open Road, and it's been a while since this was discussed, but in regard to Eric Bogle - his late-70's -  mid-80's output is excellent, and in '86 (I think...) a live album was recorded in Perth (I think) - just Eric, John Munro and Brent Miller - it's just the three of them alternating between acoustic guitars, mandolins, and bass.  This allowed them to remove much of the studio overproduction (believe me, overproduced folk sounds awful...) of the records.  It's called "In Concert", and as far as I know, it's out of print, but I have it on CD.  If anyone wants a copy, holler.  The live setting is also great, because Eric talks about every song before playing it.

Or, if you're in Melbourne, he's playing at the end of the month. See you there!

Cheers,
Evan.

Offline Johan

• Global Moderator
Re: Wide Open Road
« Reply #36 on: February 13, 2005, 10:25:01 PM »
If you click on 'more stats' on the bottom of the forums page you get to see some interesting stats, like the most viewed topics ever.
This is how I got to read this forum topic, one of the most viewed topics, and from before I was a member. I read something about a cover album by The Blackeyed Susans.
Urpal said he was going to purchase it. My question is: is it worth buying?
I can purchase it for 20 euro here in the Netherlands, online: http://phobos.plato.nl/plato/search.php?PLATOID=55406064be51b5c7a81914b72954d598&item=blackeyed+susans&whatever=artist
So is it worth it? Anyone?

Offline Urpal

• Global Moderator
« Reply #37 on: February 13, 2005, 10:48:42 PM »
Worth it? Graham produced and contributes musical elements to it, it features a Too Hot cover which is admirable, and sounds like a David Lynch movie soundtrack (think Blue Velvet, Twin Peaks etc). WJKS on a less country more urbane hike. Need I say more?
« Last Edit: February 13, 2005, 10:54:08 PM by Urpal »

Offline Urpal

• Global Moderator
« Reply #38 on: February 13, 2005, 11:50:35 PM »
Where Joy Kills Sorrow. I'd buy that one at the same time - thereby boosting Graham's coffers and your record collection simultaneously and giving this forum something else for future food.

Offline Johan

• Global Moderator
« Reply #39 on: February 13, 2005, 11:57:13 PM »
I'd love to, except that one isn't on sale here: http://phobos.plato.nl/plato/search.php?PLATOID=55406064be51b5c7a81914b72954d598&item=blackeyed+susans&whatever=artist
I'll have a look around though.

Offline Urpal

• Global Moderator
« Reply #40 on: February 14, 2005, 12:06:14 AM »

Offline mark t

« Reply #41 on: June 24, 2005, 03:08:51 PM »

Out of the blue a new listing. Hello.

Weddings Parties Anything, the now defunct Melbourne band, did a cover or Wide Open Road on another 3RRR compilation (used and recorded by, I think), in the early-mid 90's.  It took me a while to warm to it, its an up tempo acoustic version, very different to the Triffids.  The Weddo’s (they were Australian) always did things there own way, regardless of fashion, and Mick Thomas was/is a fine song writer.  They had a huge local pub rock following, which ultimately became something of a millstone, apparently.

Of course, I prefer the original.

Cheers
Mark T (from Geelong, a large country town south of Melbourne where things occasionally happen).

Offline Cassiel

« Reply #42 on: June 24, 2005, 09:47:25 PM »
Welcome aboard, Mark T. Never been to Geelong (a song title perhaps), but as I've mentioned elsewhere, I once caused untold hilarity and pom-baiting among some Aussie friends over there when I pronounced Geelong with a hard 'G'. Don't ask how it came up in conversation.

I wish that I knew better than to think that I knew better

Offline mark t

« Reply #43 on: June 29, 2005, 10:27:28 AM »
Most folks seem to have heard of Geelong.  I can imagine the Cats cheer squad going ‘Geelong ... Geelong’ with the hard G, even doing it with glee ( I think Graeme might be a Geelong supporter).

The Geelong Council has just announced, during Library week, that they are going to close down one of the ‘underperforming’ libraries.  Anywhere else they’d wait till the next week.

glee

« Reply #44 on: June 29, 2005, 10:44:53 AM »
I think some of the cheer squad already do that.