Author Topic: Wide Open Road  (Read 34963 times)

Offline geoffm

Wide Open Road
« on: January 19, 2004, 05:57:05 PM »
Rob Snarski does a passable version of WOR on the RRRewind at the chapel cd.If I recall its a bit slower.The song has seeped into the musical fabric of this country.Its a brave person who would take it on these days
geoffm
Look George,partridges

glee

Wide Open Road
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2004, 09:56:09 PM »
There's also the version of American Sailors/Too Hot To Move on the Blackeyed Susans' covers record.
Wide Open Road is a tough song to do.  

Ronan Q

Wide Open Road
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2004, 02:00:37 AM »
Wide Open Road I have actually covered in my own band once or twice but only acoustically. It kind of misses that widescreen quality with just the twang of a steel string guitar, but it's a great song to sing, if only more of the audiences knew what the hell it was. I think at one gig we did, I had finished playing it and I offered a Mars Bar to anyone who could tell me who had done the original.
Met with blank faces and quizzical stares, I mentioned The Triffids and a lone voice from the back of the room piped up..."Oh..they're from Australia right?". Well they got the bar for at least having some scrap of knowledge.
Since we're a very basic three piece, I reckon I'll have to look at another song to cover to incorporate into our full on electric sets.....any suggestions???

glee

Wide Open Road
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2004, 10:07:36 AM »
Wide Open Road I have actually covered in my own band once or twice but only acoustically. It kind of misses that widescreen quality with just the twang of a steel string guitar, but it's a great song to sing, if only more of the audiences knew what the hell it was.
Since we're a very basic three piece, I reckon I'll have to look at another song to cover to incorporate into our full on electric sets.....any suggestions???
Umm....Suntrapper, Keep Your Eyes On The Hole, Chicken Killer

Ronan Q

Wide Open Road
« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2004, 08:01:05 PM »
None of those Graham. I've already decided. Field Of Glass it is. It will take up a good portion of our set if we play it for long enough. The only problem is the oirgan part. I might get the bass player to hum it.........hmmm

glee

Wide Open Road
« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2004, 09:49:04 PM »
None of those Graham. I've already decided. Field Of Glass it is. It will take up a good portion of our set if we play it for long enough. The only problem is the oirgan part. I might get the bass player to hum it.........hmmm
That was possibly my favourite song of all to play. We didn't do it all that much but it seemed to have everything the Triffids stood for on a good night.  

Offline Urpal

• Global Moderator
  • "Light on the water, We could sail on forever"
Wide Open Road
« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2004, 04:04:21 AM »
I'm interested in Geoffm's comment that WOR "has seeped into the musical fabric of this country". I take it that we're talking Australia here. Are the Triffids still on the musical roadmap over there? If so, that's great to learn, because you would hardly know they ever existed in the UK now. Even the major retailers (Virgin, HMV etc) don't seem to carry a Triffids selection in their "megastores" these days. Where would you get hold of the covers recordings you mention in this exchange?
We all have our croissants to bear

glee

Wide Open Road
« Reply #7 on: January 21, 2004, 11:24:58 AM »
I'm interested in Geoffm's comment that WOR "has seeped into the musical fabric of this country". I take it that we're talking Australia here. Are the Triffids still on the musical roadmap over there? If so, that's great to learn, because you would hardly know they ever existed in the UK now. Even the major retailers (Virgin, HMV etc) don't seem to carry a Triffids selection in their "megastores" these days. Where would you get hold of the covers recordings you mention in this exchange?
Well the Triffids may not have made it to the mainstream here but, at least in musical circles, the name is still remembered. Wide Open Road appeared in the top 20 of APRA'sbest Australian songs of all time. Your average Joe or Jo in the street would be hard pressed to recall the band however.
You could try this link:
Big CD.com
I actually produced this record. Haven't listened to it in a while but the McComb songs are definitely worth a listen.  

Offline Urpal

• Global Moderator
Wide Open Road
« Reply #8 on: January 21, 2004, 10:59:03 PM »
Thanks for the link for the BES CD, Graham. I'll order it from there if Amazon or a UK retailer don't have it listed (and I'd be astonished if they did).

Delighted that WOR made the top 20 of APRA's best Australian songs of all time - couldn't agree more. I did a compilation CD a couple of years ago (similar to the tapes Dave used to compile) as a prospective birthday gift to LC of favourite songs from my record collection of artists I thought followed in his footsteps in terms of song quality and lyrical content. The McComb songs were WOR, Fiery List and Conquer You (these are not necessarily my favourites if I had a desert island disc situation but nevertheless the tracks that seemed to "fit" the compilation best and achieve the stated objective). The gift has yet to be delivered, since he hasn't been at his second home in Europe for some time and there is no letter box at the house.

As a matter of interest, how did The Saints and Nick Cave fair in the  APRA's best Australian songs of all time - I'd be disappointed unless both have entries and are well placed. Do you have a copy of the list, since (a) I'd be interested in the ranking order and (B) it might alert me to Australian artists I don't know of worth investigating.

Paul

glee

Wide Open Road
« Reply #9 on: January 22, 2004, 10:24:21 AM »
The APRA list is as follows (top 30):
Friday On My Mind - The Easybeats
Eagle Rock - Daddy Cool
Beds Are Burning - Midnight Oil
Down Under - Men At Work
Pub With No Beer - Slim Dusty
The Loved One - The Loved Ones
Don't Dream It's Over - Crowded House
Khe Sanh - Cold Chisel
It's A Long Way To The Top - ACDC
Quasimodo's Dream - The Reels
The Road To Gundagai - Jack O'Hagan
And The Band Played Waltzing Matilda - Eric Bogle
I'll Be Gone - Spectrum
The Real Thing - Russell Morris
Cattle And Cane - The Go-Betweens
Even When I'm Sleeping - Leonardo's Bride
(I'm) Stranded - The Saints
The Power And The Passion - Midnight Oil
Throw Your Arms Around Me - Hunters And Collectors
Wide Open Road - The Triffids
Cool Change - Little River Band
Only 19 - Red Gum
My Islad Home - Neil Murray
Reckless - Australian Crawl
The Ship Song - Nick Cave
To Her Door - Paul Kelly
Truly Madly Deeply - Savage Garden
Day You Come - Powderfinger
Science Fiction - Divinyls
Treaty - Yothu Yindi
« Last Edit: January 22, 2004, 11:32:40 AM by glee »

Offline Urpal

• Global Moderator
Wide Open Road
« Reply #10 on: January 22, 2004, 10:55:18 AM »
Thanks for the list - I wasn't disappointed. No prizes for guessing my top three then.

What is interesting is the particular songs by The Triffids, Nick Cave and The Saints which made it into the list, since I could, and probably would, have chosen several other songs from the back catalogue of each of equal or greater standing. I guess accessability of the particular song, its sales and "cultural" impact are factors in the panel's choice.

There are quite a lot of acts on the list (about half) I haven't heard of, I'm afraid. Any pointers to undiscovered quality? I've already formed a view on Crowded, Midnight, Men & ACDC. All the others are open territory, though I think I've had sufficient of a flavour of Go Betweens and Savage Garden in the past to suspect that they are not going to set my world alight.    

glee

Wide Open Road
« Reply #11 on: January 22, 2004, 11:31:27 AM »
Thanks for the list - I wasn't disappointed. No prizes for guessing my top three then.

What is interesting is the particular songs by The Triffids, Nick Cave and The Saints which made it into the list, since I could, and probably would, have chosen several other songs from the back catalogue of each of equal or greater standing. I guess accessability of the particular song, its sales and "cultural" impact are factors in the panel's choice.

There are quite a lot of acts on the list (about half) I haven't heard of, I'm afraid. Any pointers to undiscovered quality? I've already formed a view on Crowded, Midnight, Men & ACDC. All the others are open territory, though I think I've had sufficient of a flavour of Go Betweens and Savage Garden in the past to suspect that they are not going to set my world alight.
A reflection of the mainstream in a way.  There's a lot of bad music on that list. Apart from Friday On My Mind, Eagle Rock, Down under ie the really big songs that every Australian would know there are those of cultural significance - The Road To Gundagai, Pub With No
Beer. It's a funny list.
Songs that would stay were I to write my list assuming that we're actually talking about really great songs not those of cultural or other significance) would be:
The Band Played Waltzing Matilda
I'll Be Gone (whoops left that one out must edit original)
Cattle And Cane
Stranded
The Ship Song
To Her Door
The Loved One
Science Fiction
Quasimodo's Dream
To Her Door is the song that Dave wrote Goodbye Little Boy in response to.  I played on a few Paul Kelly albums and in his band for a while. He was a great admirer of Dave and he and Chris Bailey did a version of Wide Open Road at the Mushroom Records Concert Of The Century when Dave wasn't invited to appear. Dave and Paul wrote a song together - Devil Please.
Waltzing Matilda is a great anti-war song done by a guy I used to know, in fact I played on the album it originally appeared on. My very first session gig.
I'll be gone is a great hippy song by a guy who still makes good music, Mike Rudd.
The Loved Ones were a sixties band featuring a great singer called Gerry Humphries. They reformed a few years back for a tour that became something of a shambles from inside reports. They had a handful of tremendous songs and Gerry was a fine singer.
There are better songs from the Divinyls but they definitely deserve to be in the list.
Quasimodo's Dream was the real surprise in the original list because it's a truly great mysterious song from the pen of Dave Mason (of The Reels not Traffic). He also is one of the greatest singers ever. Dave was besotted with The Reels' album Beautiful (released with wonderfully apt eccentricity on the K TEL label). Quasimodo's Dream is a song that is worth hunting down somehow. (In fact it's on the Blackeyed Susans' record of covers)  
« Last Edit: January 22, 2004, 11:36:34 AM by glee »

Offline geoffm

Wide Open Road
« Reply #12 on: January 22, 2004, 02:30:13 PM »
and just to complete the circle,the other song that rob snarski performs on the RRRewind at the chapel cd is quasimodos dream
geoffm
Look George,partridges

Ronan Q

Wide Open Road
« Reply #13 on: January 22, 2004, 06:49:08 PM »
Aren't Crowded House from New Zealand?

Offline KJD

Wide Open Road
« Reply #14 on: January 22, 2004, 08:07:43 PM »
The Band Played Waltzing Mathilda is a great song, about ‘the legless, the armless, the blind and insane’ of the First World War. It's a story, very graphic. In fact, it inspired a film, Gallipoli (1981) by Peter Weir, with Mel Gibson. Not a bad film. My Youngest Son Came Home Today, also by Eric Bogle, is great as well. I only know those songs via The Pogues and Billy Bragg, though. Seems like I’ve got an artist to discover. With pedal steel work by Graham Lee- great.

KJD