Author Topic: Calenture  (Read 13016 times)

Adam

Re: Calenture
« Reply #15 on: January 22, 2007, 01:18:43 AM »
The link provided for any stragglers on the pre-order front is here

I'm straggling but I've tried.  The order form rejects my application every time, possibly because it doesn't recognise my Maestro card - which comes without an issue number.   I think Maestro is gradually replacing Switch so this might be something worth looking at (bdroop?)

Offline Snowy

« Reply #16 on: January 23, 2007, 03:16:44 AM »
I'm straggling too, but I'm skint.  It will get bought.

Calenture has a special place in my heart, being the album that brought The Triffids into my life, and the first one I bought.  I listened to almost nothing else for about 6 months in 1993/94.

Offline Urpal

• Global Moderator
  • "Light on the water, We could sail on forever"
« Reply #17 on: January 23, 2007, 07:54:58 PM »
The Piccadilly Records website is carrying some specific details of the forthcoming Calenture & ITP reissue packages here which sound convincing.

The name Niall Lucy didn't mean a great deal to me, but, unless there are two persons trading under the name, Niall is a senior university lecturer in English literature. That's good.

And there was even more excitement afoot on reading this:

Niall Lucy

Niall Lucy is a Fellow of the Australian Research Institute at Curtin University. His previous books include A Derrida Dictionary and Beyond Semiotics: Text, Culture and Technology. He is the author of several books on deconstruction and postmodernism: A Derrida Dictionary,Beyond Semiotics: Text, Culture and Technology, Postmodern Literary Theory: An Anthology, Postmodern Literary Theory: An Introduction and Debating Derrida. He is  currently writing two books for Blackwell (A Dictionary of Postmodernism and The Disorder of Things: Understanding Post-structuralism) and co-editing (with John Kinsella) a book on plagiarism and (with Chris Coughran) a book on the music of David McComb.

And the Belgian tribute site provides a prior association - the dancing around architecture thing.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2007, 08:12:51 PM by Urpal »
We all have our croissants to bear

Offline Mark_from_Perth

« Reply #18 on: January 23, 2007, 08:03:10 PM »
That's good to know, Urpal. I emailed Liberation yesterday as they are yet to have any information on the website about the "Calenture" and "In the Pines" reissues. They replied this morning, saying that the local (Australian) release date is "so far" slated for March 3rd. Don't know if I can wait that long myself.

Peter, I got my BSD through Domino. It came a good couple of weeks before the Liberation release came out. I was so pleased I pre-ordered Calenture and ITP as soon as Domino opened pre-orders last year.

Offline Cassiel

« Reply #19 on: January 23, 2007, 08:47:31 PM »

The name Niall Lucy didn't mean a great deal to me, but, unless there are two persons trading under the name, Niall is a senior university lecturer in English literature. That's good.

And there was even more excitement afoot on reading this:

Niall Lucy

Niall Lucy is a Fellow of the Australian Research Institute at Curtin University. His previous books include A Derrida Dictionary and Beyond Semiotics: Text, Culture and Technology. He is the author of several books on deconstruction and postmodernism: A Derrida Dictionary,Beyond Semiotics: Text, Culture and Technology, Postmodern Literary Theory: An Anthology, Postmodern Literary Theory: An Introduction and Debating Derrida. He is  currently writing two books for Blackwell (A Dictionary of Postmodernism and The Disorder of Things: Understanding Post-structuralism) and co-editing (with John Kinsella) a book on plagiarism and (with Chris Coughran) a book on the music of David McComb.

And the Belgian tribute site provides a prior association - the dancing around architecture thing.

Well, given what else he has written - not giving a Foucault about post-modernism and post-structuralism and failing to see what the hell they might have to do with the music of David McComb - I have to say, while welcoming any addition to the Triffids canon, I'm looking forward to Bleddyn's book rather more.

Though it could be said Bleddyn's book is open to post-structuralist analysis: namely, does it actually exist?  Does Bleddyn still exist? Do I indeed exist as a reader of the proposed text (or texts)? Barthes would have much to say about it I'm sure, but then he would, the big drunken French gobshite.
I wish that I knew better than to think that I knew better

Offline KrieB

« Reply #20 on: January 23, 2007, 09:23:27 PM »
The Piccadilly Records website is carrying some specific details of the forthcoming Calenture & ITP reissue packages here which sound convincing.

...from The Piccadilly Records site:
The Triffids : Calenture
Domino
Rediscover The Triffids' most opulent and ambitious album. "Calenture" is the third release from Domino's The Triffids reissue campaign. The "Calenture" 24-page high gloss booklet will include previously unused photos by Lawrence Watson as well as original handwritten notes / sketches from Dave McComb's notebooks and liner notes from Niall Lucy and Sally Collins. Disc one is a 24 bit re-master of the original album, along with five bonus B-side tracks. Disc two tells the story of the 'mystical' "Calenture" through a series of rehearsal and studio recordings.

2xCD - REWIGCD26 - expected 5 Feb '07

The Triffids : In The Pines
Domino
"In The Pines" is the second release from Domino's The Triffids reissue campaign, following last year's "Born Sandy Devotional". The 24 page CD booklet will include previously unused photos of the recording of the album, some original handwritten notes / sketches from Dave McComb's notebooks and liner notes from original engineer Bruce Callaway.

CD - REWIGCD25 - expected 5 Feb '07

Quite a long time ago I found a funny essay-style piece by Niall Lucy on the web which was about Rob Snarski's pilgrimage to Graceland. So nothing about The Triffids or DMcC but ... it was dedicated to David. Some time ago I wanted to post the link, but I can't find it any longer online... I did save the text on my harddisk (but that was on one of my pc's in hibernation...)
« Last Edit: January 23, 2007, 09:25:18 PM by KrieB »
Throw yourself into The Triffids darling, you haven't got a chance!

Offline Urpal

• Global Moderator
« Reply #21 on: January 23, 2007, 09:38:31 PM »
... but then he would, the big drunken French gobshite.

Do I detect a degree of hostility to post-mod/struc lit there, Cassiel? ;D Personally I wouldn't know a post modernist if I existentially fell over one.

Quite a long time ago I found a funny essay-style piece by Niall Lucy on the web which was about Rob Snarski's pilgrimage to Graceland. So nothing about The Triffids or DMcC but ... it was dedicated to David. Some time ago I wanted to post the link, but I can't find it any longer online... I did save the text on my harddisk (but that was on one of my pc's in hibernation...)

Krieb, that's a bit like dangling a tasty tidbit under the nostrils of a wet nosed hound and then snaffling it away again :).
« Last Edit: January 23, 2007, 09:42:56 PM by Urpal »

Offline Cassiel

« Reply #22 on: January 23, 2007, 10:14:13 PM »
... but then he would, the big drunken French gobshite.

Do I detect a degree of hostility to post-mod/struc lit there, Cassiel? ;D Personally I wouldn't know a post modernist if I existentially fell over one.

I did do an English degree, and did all the sign and signifiers stuff, but at the end I didn't know my Barthes from my elbow. What's annoying about post-structuralism, post-modernism too, is that no one knows what they actually are. By definition they can't, er, be defined. So you end up a bit  ???. Though the real  ??? is Marxist literary criticism. There's a bloke called Macherey who believed you shouldn't analyse what is in a piece of literature, but what is left out. So, a crit approach of the songs of David McComb would point to the lack of any voice representing the struggle of the working class, praise the voice given to women, yet no doubt save the real rough stuff for the lack of purple tap-dancing hairy bananas in the lyrics of BSD.

Enough lit crit. Off to find more youtoob clips of swearing footie managers...
I wish that I knew better than to think that I knew better

Offline Urpal

• Global Moderator
« Reply #23 on: January 23, 2007, 10:29:17 PM »
I've spent a few minutes just now trying to get my head around the Wikepedia entry about post-modernism and am feeling that, like your avatar, I could do with an extra bonce at the moment. I'm suddenly feeling grateful that I studied law where the most difficult jurisprudential concept to struggle with was the grundnorm ;)

Are you post-modern if you find post-modernism ridiculous? It sounds like it.

I expect the Calenture liner note to be less intellectually trying.

Offline TUCO

« Reply #24 on: January 24, 2007, 02:26:40 AM »
I've got a (not entirely well deserved) degree in English Lit/Language and I don't know what post-modernism is either. To be fair though, if it wasn't written by Charles Bukowski, distilled in Kentucky or able to be wrapped in Rizla and smoked I wasn't particularly interested.

There was one occasion when a lecturer invited us to imagine Virginia Woolf's 'The Lighthouse' from the point of view of a fish, but the less said about that the better. True story, I shit you not.

Really looking forward to 'Calenture' and 'In The pines' though, I bet I'm the only person here who's never heard them!

Offline Peter Azzopardi

« Reply #25 on: January 24, 2007, 09:17:15 AM »
I'm another with an English Lit degree who couldn't tell you anything too specific about postmodernism, other than everybody in lit criticism has hit a moral an ideological brick wall with it and many are trying to reassert an old fashioned set of values without stepping on anybody's toes. That is a very reductive thing to say, however, and shows how little of the theory I have been able to retain. I always found Barthes' idea of the death of the author appealing (forsaking the importance of authorial intent, thus liberating the reader to ascribe their own reading of a text), though mainly as an excuse to not understanding or reading anything properly.

Back to Niall Lucy. I once met a nice young man from Perth (who has since sadly killed himself) at a Melbourne party who mentioned discussing his thesis topic with a Eng lit supervisor at Curtin University (WA). His idea somehow involved the music of the Triffids and this supervisor apparently knew McComb and became very emotional when they would bring him up in conversation. Could be Lucy I guess. The collaborator on the McComb book seems to be situated at the University of Queensland so that's a bit of working distance.

Offline KrieB

« Reply #26 on: January 11, 2008, 03:56:33 AM »

Krieb, that's a bit like dangling a tasty tidbit under the nostrils of a wet nosed hound and then snaffling it away again :).

As the Butcher book in progress (?) recently got mentioned again on the forum, I got thinking about the other one that should also be shaping up (?) by Niall Lucy. A quick google search didn't bring much news about it, but at least the 'tasty tidbit' seems to be back online. I only remember it as plain text, but this link provides some more hyperaction.

05-09-2007: conspiring: The King and I: Elvis and the Post-Mortem or A Discontinuous Narrative in Several Media (On the Way to Hypertext)
Niall Lucy enacts a writing that weaves critical and theoretical speculation, rock journalism, hagiography and autobiography.

So it says "Original post 05-09-2007", but I think this piece may date back as far as 2001 or so... (?)
Throw yourself into The Triffids darling, you haven't got a chance!

glee

« Reply #27 on: January 11, 2008, 08:00:04 AM »
I saw Niall recently in Perth and the book he's doing (a collection of writings about Dave) is coming along I'm told.

Offline Urpal

• Global Moderator
« Reply #28 on: January 11, 2008, 08:39:44 PM »
I found Niall's article an interesting read, though a bit tangential in places. Does he look anything like Elvis?

Funnily enough a McComb-Presley nexus is alluded to in a vague comment recently made elsewhere on the Triffids MySpace by another writer.

Offline camm

« Reply #29 on: January 16, 2016, 09:38:13 AM »
Hi all, I finally picked this up, 8 years late, at red eye. I wasn't a big fan of calenture in the 80s due to the lush production. Well now how bloody fantastic is disc 2?? The demos sound like the band I remember seeing live. Fresh, with a country overtone that isn't apparent on disc 1. Heavenly. Why did I wait 8 years?

If this gets re-released glee, I'd recommend making disc 2 "disc 1". It would top the alt country charts surely :0) on this evidence the triffids invented alt country.

Any other calenture doubters out there are encouraged to rush out and buy this 2007 reissue.