Author Topic: The Saints  (Read 8884 times)

Offline Urpal

• Global Moderator
  • "Light on the water, We could sail on forever"
Re: The Saints
« Reply #15 on: November 10, 2006, 09:48:31 AM »
And the "News" at the top of the page suggests the Paradise Vendors are doing some dates at The Railway again in November, so it's a bit lively about town at the moment (Isn't it great how the internet allows you to talk like a local about a place that subjectively barely exists in your imagination let alone anywhere else? ;D).

Oh, and another thing I meant to mention to weasel whilst waffling in his direction the other day. Lou Reed's doing a special Berlin show at Sydney festival next year - he's not moving one city to another though.

We all have our croissants to bear

glee

« Reply #16 on: November 10, 2006, 10:02:43 AM »
Well, we actually played at short notice last Saturday, but won't be this Saturday due to minor surgery on one of our members. Not mine and not a "member" member if you know what I mean. We will be back, member permitting, the following Saturday. That would be the 18th.

Offline mark t

« Reply #17 on: November 10, 2006, 02:18:05 PM »
so we'll still get the full 12 inches ? ;) ;)

glee

« Reply #18 on: November 10, 2006, 02:23:00 PM »
Oh, yes, as always.

Offline Urpal

• Global Moderator
« Reply #19 on: November 14, 2006, 08:23:38 PM »
I was half expecting The Saints new album, Imperious Delirium, to be disappointing - just Chris on guitar and his staple bass and drum players. On first spin though it seems to have a lot of energy, catchy tunes and lyrics with a bit of gristle. Je Fuckin' T'aime.

The new box set serves as a reminder that, apart from Monkey Puzzle (which was a bit lilly livered production-wise), The Saints albums up to All Fools Day were solid gold - and even MP had one of the best cover versions ever in Dizzy Miss Lizzy.

Nice packaging too - with plenty of cardbord :)

gluh-uh-uh-uh-uh-uh Soo-per-b!

Offline Urpal

• Global Moderator
« Reply #20 on: November 16, 2006, 09:53:48 PM »
Je Fuckin' T'aime

Sorry, French was never my strong point - that should read Je Fookin' L'aime ;D.

There's an excellent slow, sad number on the new CD which follows the A Minor Aversion/Untitled/Photograph mould called The Other Side Of The World which struck me immediately as being almost an accompanying piece to The Long Fidelity. It's a goodie too.

Oh, and there's an official Saints MySpace for anyone who wants to get a flavour of a couple of new songs and a couple of old classics. Judging from the tenor of the blogs etc it seems to be getting some "hands on" involvement from Chris Bailey.

BTW Is Ivor Hay still up to stickery in some form or other?
« Last Edit: November 16, 2006, 10:13:55 PM by Urpal »

Offline weasel

« Reply #21 on: December 02, 2006, 09:14:28 PM »
Oh, and another thing I meant to mention to weasel whilst waffling in his direction the other day. Lou Reed's doing a special Berlin show at Sydney festival next year - he's not moving one city to another though.

Lou does an interview with Sydney's Daily Terror about this show here:

http://www.news.com.au/dailytelegraph/story/0,22049,20856829-5001021,00.html

The interviewer seems to get Lou talking pretty well but the editor 's gone for the 'grumpy Lou Reed' angle that you would expect from a shitty tabloid. He could have got something like this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=npqGHknpbyM (it's at the end)

Offline weasel

« Reply #22 on: December 18, 2006, 10:36:13 PM »
There is an excellent audience recording of the Berlin show from St Ann's, Brooklyn 14/12. PM if you want a copy.

Steve

Offline Urpal

• Global Moderator
« Reply #23 on: January 04, 2007, 12:16:44 AM »
And it is great...as is that Lou Reed interview clip. Thanks weasel.

But back to The Saints a moment. The February 2007 issue of Mojo magazine features a specially recorded version of their punk classic I'm Stranded performed by Jim Reid of the Jesus & Mary Chain, reportedly re-cast as "electro-spliced pop".

The magazine itself looks above par too - no sign of Dylan on the cover or elsewhere in quantity, but instead Ian Curtis abounds as do Joy Division, John Cale, Arctic Monkeys and Pete Seeger.

Offline Mike_M

• Manic Pop Thrills
« Reply #24 on: January 04, 2007, 07:21:29 AM »
Jim Reid of the Jesus & Mary Chain

Apparently the Reids have formed a new band, Sister Vanilla, and have signed to Chemikal Underground.

Offline CH

« Reply #25 on: January 06, 2007, 07:15:23 AM »
If you can lay hands on it, "7799" on the French label Last Call is, I think, a dandy 2-disc Saints sampler, covering 1977-1999 (ahem) & selected by Bailey. I found one on the cheap on eBay a while back. In addition to the studio tracks, it includes 4 live-in-studio tracks done in, I think, '99 for Oz radio, & so far as I know not elsewhere available.
I could ask you why you married him; I could ask you any one of a dozen things...

Offline Urpal

• Global Moderator
« Reply #26 on: April 12, 2010, 11:36:07 PM »
A bit of news for Australian members just in case anyone's missed it:

the bailey kuepper may tour
Bailey & Kuepper – two names that are synonymous with quality music of antipodean origins.

Both gentlemen being of course two of the founding members of the.Brisbane band that lit the fuse of what exploded into Punk; The Saints.

Highly successful recording artists both as solo artists and as leaders of bands, each with a vast back catalogue of solo and group recordings, humongous if combined. 

Chris Bailey has continued recording and touring all over the world for the last two and half decades both as a solo artist and with the Saints.  In addition he is the lead singer in the General Dog, has been a special guest on many a recording and has lent his skills as a producer to other artists.

Ed Kuepper also has a much lauded history as a solo artist and with his bands; Laughing Clowns and The Aints.  He has worked as a producer with other artists as well as composing several soundtracks. Kuepper joined Nick Cave and The Bad Seeds in 2009 and continues to tour and record with his current backing band the Kowalski Collective.

Australian audiences last saw both gentlemen reunited upon the stage as ‘The Saints’ for the ‘All Tomorrow’s Parties’ Festival early 2009.

We are happy to announce Messrs Bailey & Kuepper are planning a Grand Tour of musical soirees together.  They will be performing not only a selection from their collaborative works, but will also draw from their respective solo recordings.

Prior to setting off on the road, this selection of songs will be stripped back, reworked and recorded for release as an acoustic offering via the infamous and esteemed Liberation Blue label.

Ladies and gentlemen:  we are thrilled to confirm that  Bailey & Kuepper will present their music soirees on the same day each week, at the same venue, thrice during the month of May in Brisbane, Sydney and Melbourne.

Tickets for all Bailey & Kuepper shows will be on sale Monday April 12th, 2010.

Book now to avoid disappointment!

The actual tour dates are up on The Saints Myspace here:

http://www.myspace.com/saintsmusic

Offline CH

« Reply #27 on: July 14, 2010, 07:39:23 AM »
Say, Urpal, did this 2010 tour and/or CD come to pass? Anyone see a show & feel like giving a report?
I could ask you why you married him; I could ask you any one of a dozen things...

Offline Urpal

• Global Moderator
« Reply #28 on: November 16, 2012, 01:42:19 AM »
This list of Kurt Cobain's top 50 albums to hear before he died also just came to my attention:

No listing for The Triffids (that would have been very surprising given their lack of stateside exposure) but it's still pretty impressive that The Saints were on his radar.

Offline BriBri

« Reply #29 on: November 17, 2012, 08:39:35 AM »
Yeah, but you have to take this list with a pinch... I mean, The Shaggs' "Philosophy of the World" is on it.  That alone coudl help to explain a suicide.