Author Topic: The Saints  (Read 8875 times)

Offline Urpal

• Global Moderator
  • "Light on the water, We could sail on forever"
The Saints
« on: December 08, 2004, 07:50:32 AM »
The first Australian band to impact on my musical consciousness. One of the handful of bands who were in at the birth of punk (alongside The Ramones, Sex Pistols, The Clash etc), but now largely rendered invisible by virtue of the selective memory of modern popular culture (although Mojo magazine carried a surprisingly prominent feature on them a couple of months back and leadsinger Chris Bailey made a guest vocal contribution to The Bad Seeds Nocturama album).

Their history set a precedent for Australian musical exports which The Triffids sadly followed - courted by the British music press, signed to a major label, poorly promoted, only cultishly successful saleswise, the band imploded after a few attempts at commercial success whilst based in the UK and headed back to Oz. Like The Triffids, the Saints seem to have made a greater impression on the Continent (that's mainland Europe in Britspeak) than in the UK or their home country - they seem to have a following in France and most of their record labels over the last 20 years or so have been based on the other side of the English Channel from here.

Their first three albums (Stranded, Eternally Yours and Prehistoric Sounds) were classics and remain untainted by history - if you want to know what punk was about check these albums out above the Pistols, Clash and the like, whose early albums now sound rather dated, anaemic and inconsistent efforts beside them. I hear The Saints influence (perhaps unwittingly) in a lot of today's supposed groundbreakers such as The Strokes, The Hives, The Libertines etc but these are pale imitators besides the real McCoy.

A recently released box set called "All Times Through Paradise" on EMI Australia gathers together the classic albums and some rarities and live recordings in freshly remixed and polished format. As good a starting point as any.

I am delighted to see The Saints are touring Europe in the New Year and stopping off in Manchester en route. My brother and I have pre-booked our tickets and are looking forward to seeing them again for the first time in a good twenty years or so. Tour details are located at the following link:

http://www.jtc.de/tourdates.html
We all have our croissants to bear

glee

The Saints
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2004, 10:06:14 AM »
Yes - the Saints still sound good. They had no idea that they were punker than punk at the time. The original band played (I'm) Stranded at some awards show recently but my understanding is that Ed and Chris still have a testy relationship and a full reunion is not likely. Any Bailey led Saints will sound great.

Offline Urpal

• Global Moderator
The Saints
« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2004, 12:01:49 AM »
It's a shame that Ed and Chris have had a falling out that rivals Lou Reed and John Cale for its longevity, because both were obviously part of the formula which made the original line up so fantastic. It would be great for us long time fans who never had the opportunity to see them first time around to witness Chris, Ed, Ivor and Kim on stage. I realise it could never be the same as seeing them back in their heyday and some of the more pacey numbers might now seem incongruous performed by a bunch of middle aged men (we wouldn't want something like the VU reunion a few years back), but it would be a dream to see Messin With The Kid, Story Of Love, Untitled, Know Your Product and the like given a live airing by their creators.

Graham, you're right that Chris has such a great voice and ongoing songwriting talent that any version of the Saints involving him should still be worth the ticket price.  

Offline harju

Re: The Saints
« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2006, 05:57:55 AM »
the saints.  propably the best band ever. first three lps. what can i say, they rock. paralytic tonight is cool too.

Offline Urpal

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2006, 06:01:52 AM »
Hi harju. You're right of course. Possibly the best, but there are one or two other contenders in the ring. Not forgetting The Triffids ;).

Alright!

Which reminds me to drop this link for a freebie bit of something thrilling courtesy of The Saints.
« Last Edit: July 31, 2006, 06:28:53 AM by Urpal »

Offline genkboy

« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2006, 07:16:19 PM »
Well Urpal, you even wore a Saints t-shirt at a Hasselt gig.

But from your posting, I reckon you prefer the Triffids  ;).
walls so thin I can almost hear them breathing

Offline Urpal

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2006, 08:11:15 PM »
I'd swing for the crime ;). The bands each have their own merits. The Saints are young, loud and snottier. You can't beat a good blast of power and heat from time to time. The Triffids were their handsome and charming offspring.

Offline pieter

• http://
« Reply #7 on: July 31, 2006, 11:09:19 PM »
The Saints: very good indeed, although the Triffids sound better to my ears.  (also two different bands)

I have the first 3 albums.

Second album 'Eternally Yours' sounds best to me. 

« Last Edit: July 31, 2006, 11:22:40 PM by pieter »

Offline Urpal

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: July 31, 2006, 11:55:47 PM »
"Eternally Yours" was slated by critics at the time, but I agree it's a cracking record and arguably the best though all the first three have their own appeal.

Offline Urpal

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: November 10, 2006, 03:30:18 AM »
The Saints have a whole raft of new CDs out at the moment:

A new CD

A box set of the second three albums (including Monkey Puzzle - not knowingly previously available on CD) and a mid-period live one

A live CD from the early days

Details here and hereabouts
« Last Edit: November 10, 2006, 03:31:49 AM by Urpal »

Offline Smog

« Reply #10 on: November 10, 2006, 06:39:42 AM »
it s becoming a very expensive week for me with these shopping links urpal!!!
vanity of vanities, all is vanity

Offline Urpal

• Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: November 10, 2006, 08:26:54 AM »
I suspected as much.

Offline mark t

« Reply #12 on: November 10, 2006, 08:38:45 AM »
'the greatest cowboy movie never made'- thanks Urpal. 18 quid,  sounds good to me. The 3 studio albums- well I never gave them a real chance, cause it wasn't the saints anymore, but I've got to admit there is some great stuff amongst them. They were great live back then, and Dublin Tonight .... is still their finest post ed work.

Offline Urpal

• Global Moderator
« Reply #13 on: November 10, 2006, 09:21:27 AM »
You're such a purist, mark t :)

Paralytic Tonight was excellent. Is it available on CD (maybe as extra tracks on another album - I can't remember - double checking shows I've confused some parts of Monkey Puzzle added to an old copy of Out In The Jungle)? Different versions of a few of the tracks are on Monkey Puzzle, but inferior ones as I recall.

Are you going to see Ed Kuepper?

Offline mark t

« Reply #14 on: November 10, 2006, 09:40:28 AM »
Purist?  yeah, sometimes:). A few were redone on Monkey puzzle, really dull in comparison, a flat version of Simple Love IIRC. Gave me something to scoff at :). Paraletic tonight... thats the one!

Ed is doing a residency with Jeff Wegner at the NSC this month, after Gazza's rave, I'm looking forward to it. Which reminds me the BES are doing another sunday arvo residency this month at the Marquis of Lorne.