Author Topic: Save What You Can  (Read 6309 times)

Offline Eke

• Global Moderator
Save What You Can
« on: August 15, 2006, 08:18:15 PM »
From the BBC Radio 3 website...
Ross Bolleter: Save What You Can (for Vivienne Robertson) (2.41)
Australian pianist Ross Bolleter is a keen enthusiast when it comes to instruments that have seen better days. This track was played on two pianos: a 1920s Gulbransen upright which was for thirty years the bar piano in the Fremantle Club in Perth, Western Australia, and a 1901 German Ronisch Three Crown from the Sandstone Hotel, 750km north east of Perth.
album: Secret Sandhills and Satellites (2001-2005) for ruined pianos and pianos on the edge of ruin
Emanem 4128
http://www.emanemdisc.com/
http://www.warpsmusic.com/

I can't listen to that here so I've no idea if it's the Triffids song but it seems likely. Sounds fantastic whether it is or no.

Offline Gazza

Re: Save What You Can
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2006, 08:47:30 PM »
Couldn't find any way to play that, nor anything anywhere to confirm that it is (or isn't) the Triffids song. Unfortunately.

Strangely enough, I was over at the ruined pianos site the other day, while investigating someone who goes by the name of King Curly and prefers home-made/knackered instruments because his band are too good. Suspect several people around here will be rather keen. It's garage cabaret/alt-folk, if that makes any sense. Will post more later. In the meantime though, you could always try the website.
This could be heaven; shallow spreads of ordered lawns.

Offline Eke

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2006, 08:54:01 PM »
Couldn't find any way to play that

Sorry, my fault - I assumed it was recent but it's a few weeks old now. You can normally play anything from the last week from BBC radio.

Offline TowerOfSong

« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2006, 09:00:31 PM »
it's bound to be the Triffids song, since Ross B is a one time member of the Blackeyed Susans.
Wadya gonna do?
T. Soprano

Offline Urpal

• Global Moderator
  • "Light on the water, We could sail on forever"
« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2006, 09:05:46 PM »
Shame we all missed it then. I can't say I listen much to Radio 3 except when Nick Cave has ventured into that classical-orientated territory.

I knew I'd heard King Curly's name before now, Gazza, and it turns out I had heard it here first:

http://thetriffids.com/forum/index.php/topic,351.msg3200.html#msg3200

« Last Edit: August 15, 2006, 09:13:41 PM by Urpal »
We all have our croissants to bear

Offline Gazza

« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2006, 12:11:02 AM »
And I knew that I'd heard of Ross Bolleter before, but really couldn't place the name.

I've only heard a couple of mp3s from the album that Graham mentioned, so I'm not ideally placed to comment, but I reckon that King Curly has made a very impressive leap forward with his latest, Doomsday Piano. Playing at the East Brunswick Club in Melbourne on Thursday if anyone down there is interested, then Drouin, Hepburn Springs and Mornington.

Offline Eke

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2006, 11:42:59 PM »
Sadly it turns out to be an original piece and not a cover :( Never mind...

Offline Urpal

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: August 18, 2006, 12:00:50 AM »
Fascinating. Have you heard it then, Eke? What's it like?

Given the link between artist concerned and Triffids song as highlighted by ToS, the two must be connected by deliberate association even if not direct replication.

Offline Eke

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: August 18, 2006, 12:24:58 AM »
At first listen each piece is just a buch of "unpredictable dongs, clicks and dedoomps" as the sleevenotes would have it but when you submerge yourself into the album as a whole it's a surprisingly coherent and hypnotic racket. I'd liken it to a Necks album in a way, although the Necks are obviously much more traditionally musical, in that the experience seems to contain more than what you're actually hearing.

I thoroughly enjoyed it and, for an album bought completely on a whim, that's a marvellous result.

I certainly couldn't pick out any relationship between the Triffids song and the Ross Bolleter piece but he may well have picked out the tune on a completely knackered piano to get what he recorded and claimed it as a self penned number. And who would ever know?
« Last Edit: August 18, 2006, 12:29:47 AM by Eke »

Offline Gazza

« Reply #9 on: August 18, 2006, 12:54:32 AM »
Brings to mind Les Dawson (who must, in reality, have been a pretty handy pianist) and those piano-smashing competitions they always used to have at village fetes.

Offline Gazza

« Reply #10 on: September 06, 2006, 11:49:44 PM »
Interview with Steve Appel of King Curly over here. Saw them at the weekend. Great venue, good show, but a woefully thin audience. Big shame certainly deserved better.

Offline Urpal

• Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: October 21, 2006, 07:05:30 PM »
Strangely enough, I was over at the ruined pianos site the other day, while investigating someone who goes by the name of King Curly and prefers home-made/knackered instruments because his band are too good. Suspect several people around here will be rather keen. It's garage cabaret/alt-folk, if that makes any sense. Will post more later. In the meantime though, you could always try the website.

Just came across King Curly's MySpace site (as it's listed amongst The Triffids MySpace friends) and have been listening to the song "Lullaby" on there. Lovely. And the other songs on there sound of similar quality.
« Last Edit: October 21, 2006, 07:26:46 PM by Urpal »

Offline mark t

« Reply #12 on: September 24, 2009, 02:37:16 PM »
some ross bolleter streaming over here
http://www.abc.net.au/classic/newmusic/
scroll down to 'totally huge live' - he's playing the accordion, it's between about 1/3 and 1/2 way through. a bit experimental, a bit traditional, rather lovely really. He's been doing some live work in Melbourne and Perth- not that I saw it.

Offline Mark_from_Perth

« Reply #13 on: December 01, 2009, 09:47:33 PM »
Bit of a spread on Ross Bolletter in todays West Australian. Comes with mention of Blackeyed Susans and Triffids (this really should be in a separate thread...)
Anyway its mainly about another  book of poetry out on Fremantle Press!

I pdf'd it and uploaded it here (its 3.3MB)
http://www.box.net/shared/j3inzgue3t