Author Topic: In The Pines  (Read 9548 times)

Offline Urpal

• Global Moderator
  • "Light on the water, We could sail on forever"
In The Pines
« on: July 31, 2006, 11:25:04 PM »
I am one of those people who tends, mainly when not listening to it, to regard ITP as inferior to the three main studio albums. I'm therefore really looking forward to hearing the expanded re-mix coming up as part of the album's reissue.

Whilst travelling to work this morning I played 25 to 5, Better Off This Way, Once A Day & Only One Life from the record. I have to admit that 25 to 5 had me unexpectedly misty eyed. And the other songs mentioned are so damned perfect as musical expressions it's difficult to conceive of these particular performances ever being bettered however much electricity and in-studio technology you chucked at them. Some of Dave's greatest straight talking "melody songs".

Incidentally, I heard someone at the Hasselt gigs calling from the audience for a performance of 25 to 5: a surprising song request but one of which I certainly approved.

So, if you are someone for whom ITP is the superlative musical statement of The Triffids I'd recognise that as a legitimate choice and one for which a case can definitely be made. Apart from anything else, it showed extraordinary front at a time when the synth and production were holy icons to record an acoustic record in a barn on cheapo recording equipment for under a fiver and still make it sound glorious.
We all have our croissants to bear

Offline genkboy

Re: In The Pines
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2006, 01:30:56 AM »
Incidentally, I heard someone at the Hasselt gigs calling from the audience for a performance of 25 to 5: a surprising song request but one of which I certainly approved.

I suppose that was a joke.
Still, I agree with you, Urpal. I prefer the pureness of ITP to the sometimes overproduced Calenture and TBS. And the songs are fantastic, of course.

walls so thin I can almost hear them breathing

Offline pieter

• http://
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2006, 02:11:39 AM »
In The Pines was the record that did it for me, the first record of The Triffids I played for weeks and weeks. And made me (re-)discover the other records of this exceptional band. 

I got interested in the record when I read an old review in the belgian magazine HUMO, i found on the attic of my girlfriend. I liked the idea of a record being recorded in a woolshed (in the 80's!!!).

From the first notes I was completely in(to) the record and its unique vibe. (just like all the other triffids-records btw).

I also think cover and booklet reflect the sound and vibe of the record very well. 

I play 'In The Pines' al least once, every two weeks. It's one of my favorite records and probably my favorite Triffids-record (alongside BSD). I personally think it has aged very well.

It was the same period i discovered 'swordfishtrombones' (Waits) anathor record that sticks with me.

So I'm really looking forward to hear ITP with extra tracks.
« Last Edit: August 01, 2006, 05:19:12 AM by pieter »

Offline geoffm

« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2006, 08:41:02 AM »
to me ITP remains the most consistent set of songs they recorded.Doesn`t have the highs of the other records but also doesn`t have anything that irritates me .This record was  the first with a country flavour that I fell in love with and it turned me from a fan into a(small o) DMC obsessive.It has a lot to answer for.
Look George,partridges

robweb

« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2006, 11:10:05 PM »
Great songs let down by intermittent production. But 25 to 5. Only One Life and keep Your Eyes on the Hole are three of my favourite Triffids numbers. Can't wait to hear Suntrapper with new production.

Offline Urpal

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: November 23, 2006, 08:10:05 PM »
Last night I saw Mark Lanegan perform a version of the song variously known as Black Girl/In The Pines/Where Did You Sleep Last Night with The Twilight Singers (Always wondered where John Belushi, Jimi Somerville and Ginger Baker had got to). With that combined with recently released versions by Smog and John Phillips, it must be one of the most covered songs ever.

Here's an article I found recently about the song and the entry at Wikipedia.

It seems to have been the inspiration for several other more modern songs which combine the themes of sexual/sensual imagery with suggestions of infidelity and death/murder in a darkened woodland setting besides Dave's imagined version, including The Birthday Party's Deep In The Woods and Willard Grant's River Deep In The Pines.

Whilst discussing the song with Smog after the gig, he mentioned he thought the song Pinery Boy covered by Nick Cave on the Rogues' Gallery record had common themes too and checking the lyrics today there is a common thread (this is a verion I found on the net just now, not necessarily the same as the version just mentioned):

PINERY BOY

Oh, a raftsman's life is a wearisome one,
It causes many fair maids to weep and mourn.
It causes them to weep and mourn
For the loss of a true love that never can return,

"O father, O father, build me a boat,
That down the Wisconsin I may float,
And every raft that I pass by
There I will inquire for my sweet Pinery Boy."

As she was rowing down the stream
She saw three rafts all in a string.
She hailed the pilot as they drew nigh,
And there she did inquire for her sweet Pinery Boy.

"O pilot, O pilot, tell me true,
Is my sweet Willie among your crew?
Oh, tell me quick and give me joy,
For none other will I have but my sweet Pinery Boy."

"Oh, auburn was the color of his hair,
His eyes were blue and his cheeks were fair.
His lips were of a ruby fine;
Ten thousand times they've met with mine."

"O honored lady, he is not here.
He's drownded in the dells I fear.
'Twas at Lone Rock as we passed by,
Oh, there is where we left your sweet Pinery Boy."

She wrung her hands and tore her hair,
Just like a lady in great despair,
She rowed her boat against Lone Rock
You'd a-thought this fair lady's heart was broke.

"Dig me a grave both long and deep,
Place a marble slab at my head and feet;
And on my breast a turtle dove
To let the world know that I died for love.
And at my feet a spreading oak
To let the world know that my heart was broke."

Is it me or, chord structure and melodywise, does the traditional song In The Pines bear some similarities to House Of The Rising Sun?

Did you ever find that version by the Stanley Brothers you like, glee? Was it as scary as you remembered?
« Last Edit: November 23, 2006, 08:43:09 PM by Urpal »

glee

« Reply #6 on: November 23, 2006, 09:05:50 PM »
Bleddyn found a copy of it, haven't heard it except down the phone. It is a great version.

Offline Urpal

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: November 23, 2006, 09:25:12 PM »
Is that Bleddyn's alternative to heavy breathing? ;D

Offline Cassiel

« Reply #8 on: November 23, 2006, 09:26:40 PM »
Shouldn't he be wr :-X
I wish that I knew better than to think that I knew better

Offline Urpal

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: November 23, 2006, 10:15:38 PM »
Looking at Dave's lyrics for his re-imagined In The Pines it is pretty impressive.

The only element of it which is common ground with the original song is the "In the pines, in the pines, where the sun never shines" chorus line, but it expands on the atmosphere that is suggested by those few lines from the original as well as placing them in a new context: one in which the woodland experience is enjoyed as a place of escape and refuge in loving company rather than the source of an act of betrayal (and the lover and betrothed are integrated), but still ending in a sense of loss and abandonment.

Offline Urpal

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: July 27, 2008, 08:39:50 AM »
Last night I saw Mark Lanegan perform a version of the song variously known as Black Girl/In The Pines/Where Did You Sleep Last Night with The Twilight Singers (Always wondered where John Belushi, Jimi Somerville and Ginger Baker had got to). With that combined with recently released versions by Smog and John Phillips, it must be one of the most covered songs ever.

Here's an article I found recently about the song and the entry at Wikipedia.

It seems to have been the inspiration for several other more modern songs which combine the themes of sexual/sensual imagery with suggestions of infidelity and death/murder in a darkened woodland setting besides Dave's imagined version, including The Birthday Party's Deep In The Woods and Willard Grant's River Deep In The Pines.

I saw the Leadbelly original of In The Pines performed exceptionally well the other day by an act called Patti Plinko & Her Boy. Here's a YouTube live version:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zx7jMp20eCQ

Gracie Fields never sounded like that!

Offline Urpal

• Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: July 27, 2008, 08:56:14 AM »
I found this version of the Leadbelly original a bit disturbing:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ttLJCUpriCw