Author Topic: Calenture  (Read 39456 times)

Offline Urpal

• Global Moderator
  • "Light on the water, We could sail on forever"
Re: Calenture
« Reply #30 on: July 13, 2006, 10:34:23 PM »
Calenture also has a structure all of it's own which fits neatly with the title and album art work though - a sea shanty of a record about isolation, illusion, being stranded or all washed up and the constant beating of the sun and lapping of the waves.

Strangely enough I've just strayed upon this bit of news about a Hal Wilner project on the Sea Shanty featuring contributions from a stellar line-up of artists (many of whom have been suggested at one time or another for the WJKS2 project). There's an mp3 taster too. That should fit neatly with the Calenture re-issue.

Land Ho! ;)
We all have our croissants to bear

Offline lonesomesquare

« Reply #31 on: July 14, 2006, 02:18:44 AM »
I'm not a leading expert on Belgian beer but I am almost certain that at the venue they were selling Hoegaarden. I had some other white beers at other places, indeed one that you were drinking at the Century, lonesome, but at the Belgie I would lay money that I was drinking Hoegaarden. I remember the tap on the bar (before I got drunk!) and I remember talking about how I paid £4 for a pint in London once and it was only 1.50 Euros for a glass there, which worked out half the price.

I've checked with the Kunstencentrum BelgiŽ to discover that you're absolutely right, pherron. I have indeed been mixing up Belgian white beers; shame on lonesome-the-dark-beer-drinker. I owe you at least another Hoegaarden! ;)

My favourite Triffids album is BSD by the way. In my humble opinion the (strong collection of) songs on Calenture suffer from production overload, which is a real pity. Sometimes it even feels like another band going for success by doing The Triffids.
Has the Triffids got to my daisy??? (a random quote from the Gardening in Oz forum)

Offline Annie

« Reply #32 on: July 14, 2006, 02:56:53 AM »
Ah! I feared I was veering off into the arena of the psychically unwell but you saved me Pherron (as it is your destiny and purpose in life to do).

;D

I know what you mean about 80's production lonesome but I think maybe we're just at the wrong point in time to be able to look back fondly on the aural values of that time. If you listen to TBS you can hear the influence of dance and hip hop creeping in and its not surprising since there wasn't a self respecting barbecue in Oz around that time that wasn't playing Public Enemy (much to Chuck D's chagrin but there you go!). To me, some of that doesn't work but its a product of its time and it was someone's duty to venture into the grey area between musical styles - as that cross genre matured it started to make more sense, along came Beck and so on... I'm sure if Dave was still writing and the Triffids were still together he would be refining all that came before and still incorporating the new. Oh hell, you can think what you like and I don't actually prefer Calenture to BSD either and I'm waffling nonsensically....
 :-\
Hold the newsreader's nose squarely waiter, or friendly milk will countermand my trousers.

Offline Urpal

• Global Moderator
« Reply #33 on: July 14, 2006, 03:09:24 AM »
It sounds pretty good to me, Annie (but it's possible after three thousand and odd posts that have had more than their fair share of it I might not be best placed to judge waffle against erudition ;D)

Whatever. You'll not be alone, so keep going.

Offline Cassiel

« Reply #34 on: July 14, 2006, 03:41:58 AM »
To be honest, the Calenture v BSD debate is a bit like the Robert Forster v Grant Mclennan debate that go-betweens fans sometimes descend into i.e a bit bogus. Each had their merits, each had their flaws, but you were just happy both existed because both complemented each other so well. Calenture was exactly the right thing for The Triffids to do as a follow-up and I'm glad they did. Without those production values would Save What You Can be able to splinter your heart into tiny pieces like that?

Which Public Enemy album was that bbq album Annie? Fear of a Raw Prawn?  ;)
I wish that I knew better than to think that I knew better

Adam

« Reply #35 on: July 14, 2006, 05:05:17 AM »
Which Public Enemy album was that bbq album Annie? Fear of a Raw Prawn?† ;)

it takes a plateful of...er...scallions to...er...oh fuck it

Offline lonesomesquare

« Reply #36 on: July 14, 2006, 06:56:22 AM »
Oh hell, you can think what you like and I don't actually prefer Calenture to BSD either and I'm waffling nonsensically...

Why don't you have another Hoegaarden, Annie! ;D

Calenture was exactly the right thing for The Triffids to do as a follow-up and I'm glad they did. Without those production values would Save What You Can be able to splinter your heart into tiny pieces like that?

Odd as it may sound to you Cassiel from a fellow Triffhead, Save What You Can would be exactly one of the tracks I would put forward as great songs suffering the most from production overload.

But you know what: I'll have another (247th) listen to Calenture on my way to the office in the car tomorrow, so I can regret all I've written down here tonight! ;)
Has the Triffids got to my daisy??? (a random quote from the Gardening in Oz forum)

Offline Cassiel

« Reply #37 on: July 14, 2006, 07:36:07 AM »
Odd as it may sound to you Cassiel from a fellow Triffhead, Save What You Can would be exactly one of the tracks I would put forward as great songs suffering the most from production overload.

But you know what: I'll have another (247th) listen to Calenture on my way to the office in the car tomorrow, so I can regret all I've written down here tonight! ;)

It takes all sorts lonesome.  ;) I remember Graham writing a while ago that the band never played Save What You Can live, couldn't reproduce the arrangement or get it right live. So in a way I suppose you could say it's a song that exists only because of the production. Wouldn't have worked on In the Pines for sure.

Offline Cassiel

« Reply #38 on: July 14, 2006, 07:38:21 AM »
Which Public Enemy album was that bbq album Annie? Fear of a Raw Prawn?† ;)

it takes a plateful of...er...scallions to...er...oh fuck it

Fuck tha Polenta?

Offline mark t

« Reply #39 on: July 14, 2006, 09:46:07 AM »
The only time I nearly went off the Triffids was the release of Calenture. The production values nearly killed it for me, also at the time I wasn't near a turntable for long enough to give it a fair listen, which didn't help.† Of course now I think its a great album but not as great as BSD,TBS or TP. I just don't play it as often as those, so that's my criteria. I know that with TP it's partially due to a fair dose of nostalgia.

I don't think the reason I rate it so is just due to the initital reaction. A while back I found that my reasons had been well summed up by Sando, I hadn't thought about it much until I read this thread, but I found myself agreeing with him, and although I disagree with him about Hometown Farwell Kiss, I still find the production (of that song and the whole album) jarring. For me it is an album with 5 or 6 great songs, and others that are just OK. If I had to pick a worst Triffids song from the studio albums, it'd probably be Jeddacudup Man.

....while it's true I don't rate the album as highly as others from the catalogue, I would not say it is devoid of melody. There are melodies, just not many that really stuck in my mind for one reason or another. Maybe my points and posts have meshed to give the impression that I don't think Calenture is worth a jot. Wrong. Indeed, I do like Save What You Can. A lot. And Blinder By The Hour, Trick Of The Light, Bury Me Deep In Love.
But too many of the rest of the songs fail to make any impression on me one way or the other. Hometown Farewell Kiss I simply feel is an overbaked version of one of my favourites from the previous album. And whilst I accept your points about Jerdacuttup Man, to me it just grates. When it lurches into 'Cold and lonely...', it just sounds wrong to me. Lord knows why these sounds hit my eardrums in a different way to so many fans here (and Triffids members too!) but they do. And while I think some of the lines are quite clever, the narrative of the song never caught me in the same way as something like New Years Greetings. Just how I interpret and hear it.

The 'melody first' point is simply my convuluted way of saying that it's usually the sound and the atmosphere and the melody lines that initially strike me about most music. I'm certainly no slouch when it comes to appreciating a neat turn of phrase or a beautiful couplet,and when they're married to great melodies, the appreciation is tenfold. But as I was working my way through The Triffids catalogue years ago, Calenture was simply the one album I could never fully get to grips with. And I DO put that down to a lower quota of songs that actually grab me in the manner spoken of above. I love the sound of The Triffids playing as a band, I love Dave's voice (and sometimes this combination can momentarily raise an otherwise plain song up a notch), but I would argue that my feelings towards Calenture as a whole cannot be invalidated on a basis that I must be 'missing out' on something everyone else seems to get. Surely there are recordings from some of your favourite artists that simply don't resonate with you for various reasons? And the same recordings may be rated very highly be others who listen to the same thing.

Oh I don't know. At the heel of the hunt, even a below-par Triffids album is better than most others, but because I love the music so much, that's maybe why I take extreme stances towards certain aspects of it that don't seem to hit me as it does others.....

Its worth reading the entire thread, if you have the time.
http://thetriffids.com/forum/index.php/topic,441.0.html
« Last Edit: July 14, 2006, 04:22:57 PM by mark t »

Offline Gazza

« Reply #40 on: July 14, 2006, 03:20:03 PM »
If I had to pick a worst Triffids song from the studio albums, it'd probably be Jerdacuttup Man.

The audience boot of the three reunion shows arrived about half an hour ago, and I'd have to say that Jerdacuttup Man is an early contender for highlight of the first set. Mind you, I'm only about a third of the way through. More later, of course, both on Calenture and the gigs.
This could be heaven; shallow spreads of ordered lawns.

Offline Cassiel

« Reply #41 on: July 14, 2006, 05:08:53 PM »

Its worth reading the entire thread, if you have the time.
http://thetriffids.com/forum/index.php/topic,441.0.html

Which reminds me, where is Sando these days?

Offline mark t

« Reply #42 on: July 14, 2006, 05:11:37 PM »
He was around not so long ago to claim the world cup poll.

Offline Urpal

• Global Moderator
« Reply #43 on: July 14, 2006, 05:41:20 PM »
Thanks for reminding us of a slice of Sando's past excellent contributions, mark t. You don't miss the banter until the inkwell runs dry ;)

Reading that old post was a bit like confronting Jerdacuttup Man ;D

Let's hope we can stir Sando back into full keyboard rattling life one of these days.

Offline vps

« Reply #44 on: July 14, 2006, 06:04:57 PM »
He was here on Monday so it's not like he's left the building or anything.  ;)
Between thought and expression lies a lifetime