Author Topic: The Gun Club: The Fire OF Love  (Read 7683 times)

Offline Eke

• Global Moderator
Re: The Gun Club: The Fire OF Love
« Reply #15 on: March 28, 2008, 07:10:13 PM »
It would seem that the documentary about JLP and The Gun Club is now available on DVD.

Almost forgot about this post, luckily a four star review in Mojo jogged my memory. It comes out to 17.17 in GBP including postage etc. Worth a punt I think.

Offline weasel

« Reply #16 on: March 30, 2008, 11:32:51 PM »
If this is the same doco I saw last year, I wouldn't give it four stars. It was pretty much interviews with former band members bitching about Jeffrey Lee with no interviews or film of the man himself.

So, I would recommend you see it, though you probably wouldn't want to own it (for that price anyway).

Not that I didn't like it. I found it hard to reconcile the image of Jeffrey Lee as the eternal fuck-up with the many, many great songs he's written. Just look back on this thread and see the different albums forum members have chosen as their favourite. I love the way the Gun Club albums document Jeffrey Lee's life and influences at the time they were made.

I'm putting in a plug for Las Vegas Story, though Fire Of Love and Mother Juno are favourites as well.

Offline Urpal

• Global Moderator
  • "Light on the water, We could sail on forever"
« Reply #17 on: March 17, 2009, 04:25:06 AM »
Whilst I was waiting for The Phantom Band to come on stage the other night the DJ spinning the discs played a dance version of The Gun Club's Sex Beat which I'd not heard before.

A bit of a Google suggests that it was by Two Lone Swordsmen and you can get a substantial taster of it here:

http://www.twoloneswordsmen.com/music.html

Pretty good, I thought. It reminded me how great the original song is anyway. Cover versions have the advantage sometimes of helping you hear the familiar as fresh out of the box again.
We all have our croissants to bear

Offline winston smersch

« Reply #18 on: March 17, 2009, 06:38:22 AM »
"Sex Beat" by the Gun Club was a REGULAR spinner by most "alternative"  DJays back in the day in Perth...we're talking circa-late 83/84 I think.  The Cramps were big too..."Lydia's Strawberry Explosion" upstairs at the Old Melbourne ("Milliways" it was called then) was quite a big Wednesday nite.  I know this because they asked me to bring along some surfin' instrumental stuff.  I was never paid for my labours, but that wasn't the point...

Offline mark t

« Reply #19 on: March 17, 2009, 08:24:52 AM »
was going to mention suburban mayhem in the OST thread. Adalita does sexbeat, magic dirt also do double dare - then there is the spazzys, theredsunband, little birdy and birdblobs - a good aussie taster. The second part of the cd is original score by Mick harvey - five or so tracks with mick turner, spencer p jones, roland s howard. Not a great movie - but definitely worth seeing :)

Adam

« Reply #20 on: January 20, 2010, 07:42:24 PM »
Well here's a fine thing. Glitterhouse have overseen and now released a project to get some unrecorded JLP songs out of the shadows and the cast list is likely to peel a few bananas round here.

Nick Cave, Congo Powers, Mark Lanegan, Mick Harvey, Johnny Dowd, The Sadies, Debbie Harry, Barry Adamson, Dave Alvin, Lydia Lunch &The Raveonettes are all involved.  

It's called 'We are only riders' and seems to be flying completely under the radar. I have it here in my hand but have yet to play it.  
« Last Edit: January 20, 2010, 10:38:23 PM by Dame Barbara Cartland »

Offline Eke

• Global Moderator
« Reply #21 on: January 20, 2010, 07:51:13 PM »
Oh, I read about this just recently (article in The Word I think) but didn't know it was out. Ta.

Offline Urpal

• Global Moderator
« Reply #22 on: January 20, 2010, 10:45:27 PM »
I got that new various artists tribute CD last weekend and it's good stuff. Through the wonders of modern technology, JLP even plays on a couple of the tracks (from Hansa studios in Berlin back in the 80s from what I can gather). It is all "new material" from a cassette of songs JLP was working on post-GC. There can't have been too many songs on the cassette, because there are about three different cover versions of two or three of the songs on the CD. This works quite well though, because the different approaches to the repeated songs makes them sound like different songs until you get familiar. The songs are all good/memorable and cast a slightly different light on JLP from the GC records.

The liner notes include a contribution from Craig Leon. Leon strongly recommends further listening in the form of JLP's overlooked Wildweed solo LP on which Leon handled the production.

Offline junkmale

• It's a long way down as the crow flies...
« Reply #23 on: January 28, 2010, 11:15:16 PM »
JLP and Gun Club fans will be pleased to know of a new CD of JLP songs performed by people like Nick Cave called We are only Riders . All of the songs (except Lucky Jim, of which Debbie Harry does a fine version) were written during the Wildwood period and have not been previously released. I downloaded it last week and it is really worthwhile. More info: www.myspace.com/jlpsessionsproject

Adam

« Reply #24 on: January 28, 2010, 11:41:14 PM »
Sounds good  ::)

Offline Urpal

• Global Moderator
« Reply #25 on: January 28, 2010, 11:54:00 PM »
I like the Nick Cave/Debbie Harry duet on that CD particularly - Mick Harvey's & the Lanegan/Campbell are good uns too and Nick's opener has a nostalgic early Bad Seeds vibe about it.

It got me thinking that Nick must be running out of ambitions to fulfill - What with singing with female & male musical icons, screenplays, soundtracks, theatrical music, novels, records, acting etc. What's left? Re-training as an accountant? ;D
« Last Edit: January 29, 2010, 12:28:33 AM by Urpal »