Author Topic: The Gun Club: The Fire OF Love  (Read 7682 times)

Offline TowerOfSong

The Gun Club: The Fire OF Love
« on: June 24, 2006, 05:53:17 AM »
Reading reference to Jeffrey Lee Pierce, in that italian review just posted reminded me:
Recently my 17 yr old nephew was looking for recommendations for good rock'n'roll, as he was bored with his usual listening, so I thought of the first, classic (and best IMO) album by LA 80s outfit, The Gun Club.
To my ears this still more than stands up and sounds as exciting and, dare I say it - cathartic - as it did back then.
Older forum members will no doubt be more than familiar, but if there are any younger ones for whom this was way before their time, "do yourselves a favour" etc.   ;D
It's a shame the 80s gets such as bad rap for musical quality when gems like this are scattered throughout that decade.
Wadya gonna do?
T. Soprano

Adam

Re: The Gun Club: The Fire OF Love
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2006, 07:12:38 AM »
Emphatically seconded.  All of their records have the tang of greatness about them but this is the best.

Offline geoffm

« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2006, 10:22:57 AM »
Aye.Nice one.Lack of activity here suggests people otherwise occupied at the moment.Sigh.
Look George,partridges

Offline Eke

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2006, 10:48:11 PM »
Older forum members will no doubt be more than familiar

You're probably right about being more than familiar with it so it was a great idea of yours to put it down as a recommendation. I'll surely be digging my copy out for a listen as soon as I can.

Offline Gazza

« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2006, 11:15:51 PM »
Older forum members will no doubt be more than familiar

I must still be young then … thanks for that Tower! Went looking for it today but ended up with St Elsewhere instead. One of those horrible days were I could only afford one CD but could easily have picked up 50.
This could be heaven; shallow spreads of ordered lawns.

Offline pandzer

« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2006, 05:39:30 PM »
Aaaah... The Gun Club. So, my favourite album is actually "Divinity", with the incredible "Sorrow Knows" on it. I love the guitar on that album... I was lucky enough to see JLP perform with the Gun Club before he died, amazing concert with people like Jochen Arbeit on the band, in the legendary "Loft" club which has unfortunately ceased to exist too.

What an awesome songwriter he was. Heh, I heard he caused the tour managers quite some headaches... like, falling asleep during a transatlantic phone call, ringing up a $1000 phone bill overnight at a hotel.

Offline TowerOfSong

« Reply #6 on: July 06, 2006, 10:36:59 PM »
Heh, I heard he caused the tour managers quite some headaches... like, falling asleep during a transatlantic phone call, ringing up a $1000 phone bill overnight at a hotel.
yeeeeees, well
I have told this story elsewhere, but the first time the Gun Club came to Melbourne back in the day, the band had a fight at LAX airport just as they were about to hop on the plane..as a result only JLP turned up in Australia!
 He played his first gig solo acoustic and I still have the (walkman :-[ )recording. After that a local band called the Johnnies (Spencer P Jones was guitarist) stepped into the breach and did a fine job as his backing band - he didn't even have to teach them the songs as they were big fans.  :)
As evidenced on that tape, he was a bit inclined to sing rather flat a lot of the time, but made up for it in terms of emotional input and  great songwriting skills.
Wadya gonna do?
T. Soprano

Offline Cassiel

« Reply #7 on: July 06, 2006, 10:54:41 PM »
Great album. But my softest spot has always been for Mother Juno; bit more contemplative, JLP doing a bit of crooning. Haven't listened to it in yonks. Will have to dig it out.
I wish that I knew better than to think that I knew better

Offline mark t

« Reply #8 on: July 07, 2006, 10:17:16 AM »
I put Miami in the poll for top 5 allbums or what ever it was on this forum, but I've got a very very worn out LP of Fire of Love.

Offline Eke

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: July 14, 2006, 06:37:50 PM »
It turns out that my copy of Fire Of Love disappeared in the great vinyl purge of '95 so I was reduced to re-buying it on CD. But I'm certainly glad I did - I think it's quite possibly the most exciting record I've heard this year. It's almost shameful to think that I disposed of it ten years ago and probably hadn't listened to it in the ten years before that. Thanks for the tip Tower.

Offline milton

« Reply #10 on: August 16, 2006, 09:44:45 PM »
Hi Tower of Song,

"He played his first gig solo acoustic and I still have the (walkman  )recording."

Ive got a very large official / non-official Gun Club collection.

I would love to get that acoustic JLP solo acoustic gig from you if your happy to trade.

Please let me know.

Cheers,

Milton

Adam

« Reply #11 on: May 04, 2007, 04:15:19 AM »
For those of you local and free and inclined (I think that probably brings us down to single figures) the long-awaited documentary about the Gun Club gets an airing in Melbourne next week - details here
http://www.acmi.net.au/punk_ghost_on_highway.jsp

Offline Eke

• Global Moderator
« Reply #12 on: May 04, 2007, 10:09:57 PM »
http://www.acmi.net.au/punk_ghost_on_highway.jsp
I love it when someone can be bothered to put the umlaut on Motörhead.

But I digress, hem hem...

I'd be interested in seeing the film - has it shown in London? And more importantly is it likely to? I see from the Gun Club website that it showed in Leeds last year but no mention of any other UK dates.

Offline Urpal

• Global Moderator
  • "Light on the water, We could sail on forever"
« Reply #13 on: March 07, 2008, 08:16:50 AM »
It would seem that the documentary about JLP and The Gun Club is now available on DVD. The DVD is in US standard NTSC format but "region free" so should play outside of the States. Further info here:

http://www.ghostonthehighway.com
We all have our croissants to bear

Offline TowerOfSong

« Reply #14 on: March 08, 2008, 06:48:21 AM »
slight dogression but I see a bit of mention on these forums of dvd regions.....there are various bits of free software available online for free that will bypasss the regions on all dvds once installed. I think the one I use is called "dvd43" or similar.
Wadya gonna do?
T. Soprano