Author Topic: I'm packing and unpacking personal things...  (Read 5153 times)

Offline Urpal

• Global Moderator
  • "Light on the water, We could sail on forever"
I'm packing and unpacking personal things...
« on: June 17, 2006, 07:56:17 PM »
"I'm packing and unpacking personal things
That fail to remind me of you"

So here we have a song in Personal Things about the fairly routine human activity of keeping mementoes of a romantic relationship or loved one: the photo in the wallet, the tickets from that first romantic engagement, the clasp of hair in a locket...etc.

The song could have easily ended with the words "that always remind me of you" and still been riddled with heartache, but the failure of the keepsakes to conjure the absent friend is more emotionally truthful and for that reason more telling.

It's the same failure over time of the "trophy" to satisfy a longing that drives the psychopath to his next kill and in this "normal" obsessive behaviour of attempting to keep a person close by trinkets that we share something deeply human in common with the serial killer - admittedly, largely unrecognised or shied away from by most.

Karl Marx' favoured maxim for life was "Nihil humani a me alienum puto" - or "Nothing human is alien to me". And a lot of Dave's stuff exposes and confronts at a most personal level the weirdness that lies at the hearts of all of us. That's something his work shares with Nick Cave's and I'm grateful for them holding up that stark mirror.
« Last Edit: June 17, 2006, 07:58:46 PM by Urpal »
We all have our croissants to bear

Adam

Re: I'm packing and unpacking personal things...
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2006, 07:59:27 PM »
Karl Marx' favoured maxim for life was "Nihil humani a me alienum puto" - or "Nothing human is alien to me". And a lot of Dave's stuff exposes and confronts at a most personal level the weirdness that lies at the hearts of all of us.

I wonder what's going on over at the Coldplay forum  ;)

Offline Kieren

« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2006, 08:36:39 PM »
  ;D ;D ;D

Offline TowerOfSong

« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2006, 08:27:00 AM »
but the failure of the keepsakes to conjure the absent friend is more emotionally truthful and for that reason more telling.

I dunno, Urpal...I read this differently. He says they fail-  but do you really believe that? Or is he trying to convince himself, as much as anyone else?  (You know, like not thinking about the elephant in the room.?)

On a sort of related note, I dunno if this is wierd, but I sleep with one of DM's guitar picks buried deep inside my feather pillow.  :-[ :-[ :-[
Wadya gonna do?
T. Soprano

Offline Gazza

« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2006, 11:09:18 AM »
Eeew! :o

But as for the lyrics, I'm with ToS on this one. The narrator is at that horrible stage where you have to put all of your being into forgetting and it still doesn't do you any good.
This could be heaven; shallow spreads of ordered lawns.

Offline TowerOfSong

« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2006, 06:27:01 PM »
Gazza, I said Guitar pick - not used toothpick! ::)
Wadya gonna do?
T. Soprano

Offline geoffm

« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2008, 10:07:21 PM »
I remember reading somewhere this song described as the bitterest song about a relationship breakdown not written by Elvis Costello.
I recently gave some praise here to The Gin Club cd-junk.Subsequently Ben Salter from that band won Queensland songwriter gongs for 2 songs on that Cd.One of them was 10 Paces Away,which lyrically fits into much the same genre as Personal Things
You`ve got 5 lame excuses
your supply beyond demand

and lots more vitriol

just 2 paces away I softly shake my head
and it will keep on shaking until I`m cold and dead

Putting aside Elvis costello whose love of the stinging put down seems to have mellowed after his latest marriage(or maybe I just stopped listening) I`m wondering what other tunes are lurking in your collective grey matter that fit into this category and your fave lines .Where hate and hurt converge.
Look George,partridges

Offline mark t

« Reply #7 on: August 27, 2008, 11:42:17 AM »
I don't mind falling
it's easier to do
than this dizzy high wire walking
still holding on to you
and I'm frightened from the distance
I'm drunk on vertigo
I ain't going nowhere
no place I'd wanna go

Drowning Slowly by Jenny Queen came to mind, fairly standard C&W really
« Last Edit: August 27, 2008, 11:45:30 AM by mark t »