Author Topic: Darling, you are not moving any mountains.....  (Read 2946 times)

Offline Urpal

• Global Moderator
  • "Light on the water, We could sail on forever"
Darling, you are not moving any mountains.....
« on: June 09, 2006, 05:38:10 AM »
Darling, you are not moving any mountains,
You are not seeing any visions,
You are not freeing any people from prison,
Just an aphorism for every occasion....

Surely the ultimate self-criticism of the songwriter's craft (maybe of artistic endeavour generally) in song.

Trouble is that, unlike your average music critic, whilst not moving or freeing in the physical sense, David's gifts with words and music do have the power to move and free the listener from the shackles of mundane existence for a moment now and again.

And that is an invaluable gift.

Dave may have been his own most demanding self-critic. Others are clearly more willing to hold his work up to the light and not find it lacking in the ability to continue to speak for and to them.
« Last Edit: June 09, 2006, 05:41:53 AM by Urpal »
We all have our croissants to bear

Offline ts

Re: Darling, you are not moving any mountains.....
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2006, 02:25:57 AM »
Well that was an interesting interpretation. I'd never read those lyrics as having been written by David about himself, but I can see that point of view now. I've always thought of it as a beautiful "hate" song to an attractive but perhaps vacuous girl. Perhaps we'll never know.  For 20yrs barely a day goes by without the line "..just an aphorism, for every occasion.." running through my head. I shoehorn it into conversations as often as possible, but so far no sudden glints of recognition (apart from known fellow conspirators).
As a sidenote, the line "..never had to heal any deep incisions.." may have been inspired by David's father's job as a plastic surgeon, though that could be too concrete a take.
But, yeah, "Stolen Property" makes my top 5 Triffids song, often my favourite if I'm in a "certain" mood. It is , for mind, the most forceful Triffids song,  relentlessly driving to its bleak and vicious, hectoring end. I love it, thanks to all those involved. Twenty years of thanks.

Offline Urpal

• Global Moderator
  • "Light on the water, We could sail on forever"
Re: Darling, you are not moving any mountains.....
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2006, 03:16:15 AM »
I assume you've now heard the demo version of Stolen Property on the audio page of this website, ts. If not it's well worth a listen and throws some interesting light on the original overall context of these lyrics (as do the notes about the song in the reissue booklet).

But yeah, I agree that in the context of the song as a whole a listener would naturally assume it's part of an address to a another person (the lost love) rather than a process of self-immolation.

The two tend to go hand in hand.

Admittedly, you don't usually address yourself as "Darling" too often :) (certainly not in public ;D), but these lines are more likely to be and more emotionally effective as the other's imagined words back projected by the writer upon himself. Of course, I could be wrong and it cuts both ways.

Whichever way you take them the words are a sobering benchmark. Not many camels pass through that particular eye of the needle: and ironically Dave was probably one of the few who does.
We all have our croissants to bear