Author Topic: Love of Will reissue?  (Read 9059 times)

Offline babelogue

Love of Will reissue?
« on: June 05, 2006, 10:47:04 PM »
Just wondered if there was any plans to reissue Love of Will in the programme of reissues? It's such a great album (the equal, I think, of the great Triffids albums), it would be a real shame if it didn't find a wider audience. Plus there is so much excellent live Red Ponies material (my own fave being the rousing cover of Passing Through from a Triple J session) that could be used as extra tracks! 
« Last Edit: June 05, 2006, 11:00:11 PM by peacetoy »

Offline LAMF

Re: Love of Will reissue?
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2006, 11:02:35 PM »
Unfortunately, not at this current time. The record is still under contract.

See here:
http://thetriffids.com/forum/index.php/topic,573.0.html
In the realm of the senseless....

Offline Gazza

« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2006, 12:03:07 PM »
On a related subject, is there any news on the possibility of the costar stuff being released? If not, is there any chance that a file-sharing release could be organised?

And how about taking the same approach for the Red Ponies radio sessions? I'd love to get my ears on the aiff files for those.
This could be heaven; shallow spreads of ordered lawns.

Offline LAMF

« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2006, 12:49:51 PM »
I believe moves are afoot to see this happen in the not too distant future, but this will probably occur after the Triffids reissue program has been completed. I think it all comes down to assessing all the material available and trying to deterime what David himself would have wanted. What was recorded was essentially unfinished, and David was a perfectionist with regard to his own work. He once  said that he hated the idea of people listening to his demos as that wasn't the way he wanted the songs to be presented , but loved listening to other people's demos.

Offline babelogue

« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2006, 09:06:26 PM »
That's really sad about Love of Will. Perhaps a concerted email campaign by forum members might help? Is it Mushroom who own the rights?

glee

« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2006, 09:29:25 PM »
That's really sad about Love of Will. Perhaps a concerted email campaign by forum members might help? Is it Mushroom who own the rights?
I doubt it, could be counterproductive.

Offline pherron

• http://homepage.ntlworld.com/peter.herron/
« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2006, 02:53:34 AM »
Glee, I'd second Gazza64's question:

any chance of costar seeing the light of day in the near future?

glee

« Reply #7 on: June 07, 2006, 12:41:46 PM »
Yes there is, but I can't give you any details right now. Sorry to be vague.

Offline Urpal

• Global Moderator
  • "Light on the water, We could sail on forever"
« Reply #8 on: June 10, 2006, 08:04:33 PM »
I've said before that I'm no big fan of Bob Dylan. I've recently heard a live version by costar of "I Dreamed I Saw St Augustine". Never having heard the original, it seemed like a song which Dave could have written and his rendition of it is rending.

I've subsequently listened to snippets of Dylan's versions of Lonesome Hobo and St Augustine courtesy of a record shop listening booth and it seems to me that these songs were given blood and guts previously lacking by the re-casting process.

I hope some costar stuff gets unearthed soon. Dave may have been a perfectionist, but from what I've heard there is some stuff from this last chapter way up there where you can forgive the inevitable limitations of the time.
We all have our croissants to bear

Offline TowerOfSong

« Reply #9 on: June 11, 2006, 04:23:02 PM »
re: costar recordings:
What was recorded was essentially unfinished, and David was a perfectionist with regard to his own work.

I thought the 3-track costar ep was finished. Or am I labouring under some sort of misapprehension here? ???

re: Love of Will: I found a couple of MP3 blogs today offering the entire album for download. If you search on google blogsearch.... ;)
Wadya gonna do?
T. Soprano

Offline LAMF

« Reply #10 on: June 12, 2006, 01:02:35 AM »
Of the six tracks from the costar recordings sessions, only I Kept My Eye On You was actually considered "finished", but had there been more time, I think it might have gotten a remix. The other tracks on the single were more or less works in progress which would be used as b-sides, but revisited and expanded upon at a later date, much like Hometown Farewell Kiss' first appearance on In The Pines.

Offline Gazza

« Reply #11 on: June 12, 2006, 01:25:16 AM »
All the answers here seem to be for the costar material: is anything likely to happen with the Red Ponies stuff?
This could be heaven; shallow spreads of ordered lawns.

torch

« Reply #12 on: July 09, 2007, 12:22:27 AM »
Actually not even 'I kept my eye on you' was finished to our satisfaction. Dave and I did add the call and response vocals at LAMF's studio one day but I dont know what happened to that.
At the time of Dave's death He and I were paying to release an ammount of Copies of the stuff recorded at Julian's as an EP. However apart from Dave and myself all the other players were stretched pretty thin with their musical commitments. All were in
several bands and it was difficult to nfind times which were suitable
for all.

Offline son of albert

• ..the evenings were a kind of melancholy truce...
« Reply #13 on: August 15, 2009, 08:43:52 PM »
Copies available again via Amazon for those with £80 or£100 to spare!

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B000060K7U/sr=1-1/qid=1250332623/ref=olp_product_details?ie=UTF8&me=&qid=1250332623&sr=1-1&seller=

Rather dubious old reviews attached too........

Any news Glee?
It's an idea some day, in my tears, my dreams...

Offline stevenl

« Reply #14 on: August 19, 2009, 11:21:11 PM »
There is someone in Sweden selling them on ebay for the bargain price of about $30US. He must have a few as I bought one off him a couple of weeks ago and this is a new listing.
http://cgi.ebay.com.au/David-Mccomb-1994-Love-Of-Will-mega-rare-NEW_W0QQitemZ280386540203QQcmdZViewItemQQptZMusic_CDs?hash=item41485712ab&_trksid=p3911.c0.m14